Nov 16, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT
It’s become a common theme for the Pittsburgh Penguins of late. And that’s not a good thing.
For the fourth time in their last five games, the Penguins managed only one goal in what was another loss, this time a 4-1 decision to the New Jersey Devils on Saturday.
Sandwiched in their recent woes was a four-goal outburst against the Nashville Predators on Friday. But goal scoring of late been an aberration for the Penguins, even with the likes of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.
Malkin was a minus three in tonight’s loss, with only two shots on goal, while Crosby was a minus one.
Crosby, tied for second in the league in points with John Tavares, has been held in check over his last five games, racking up only one goal and an assist over that time.
The Devils, meanwhile, have won four of their last six games. Martin Brodeur, at the age of 41, pulled off his fourth straight victory – and nearly his third shut out in that span – with a 27-save performance.
It was a night when the veteran players got the job done for New Jersey.
Jaromir Jagr, also at the age of 41, scored twice in the third period. He now has seven goals on the season. Who says he’s too old?
“Great move: spin-o-rama, backhand shot, top shelf. Faked the goalie out. What a great move, what a great deke,” Jagr joked about his second of the night, which was an empty-net goal to secure the win for New Jersey.
It was career goal No. 688 for Jagr.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 16
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)