Nov 16, 2013, 11:04 PM EST
It’s become a common theme for the Pittsburgh Penguins of late. And that’s not a good thing.
For the fourth time in their last five games, the Penguins managed only one goal in what was another loss, this time a 4-1 decision to the New Jersey Devils on Saturday.
Sandwiched in their recent woes was a four-goal outburst against the Nashville Predators on Friday. But goal scoring of late been an aberration for the Penguins, even with the likes of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.
Malkin was a minus three in tonight’s loss, with only two shots on goal, while Crosby was a minus one.
Crosby, tied for second in the league in points with John Tavares, has been held in check over his last five games, racking up only one goal and an assist over that time.
The Devils, meanwhile, have won four of their last six games. Martin Brodeur, at the age of 41, pulled off his fourth straight victory – and nearly his third shut out in that span – with a 27-save performance.
It was a night when the veteran players got the job done for New Jersey.
Jaromir Jagr, also at the age of 41, scored twice in the third period. He now has seven goals on the season. Who says he’s too old?
“Great move: spin-o-rama, backhand shot, top shelf. Faked the goalie out. What a great move, what a great deke,” Jagr joked about his second of the night, which was an empty-net goal to secure the win for New Jersey.
It was career goal No. 688 for Jagr.
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 0
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)