Nov 16, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT
It’s become a common theme for the Pittsburgh Penguins of late. And that’s not a good thing.
For the fourth time in their last five games, the Penguins managed only one goal in what was another loss, this time a 4-1 decision to the New Jersey Devils on Saturday.
Sandwiched in their recent woes was a four-goal outburst against the Nashville Predators on Friday. But goal scoring of late been an aberration for the Penguins, even with the likes of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.
Malkin was a minus three in tonight’s loss, with only two shots on goal, while Crosby was a minus one.
Crosby, tied for second in the league in points with John Tavares, has been held in check over his last five games, racking up only one goal and an assist over that time.
The Devils, meanwhile, have won four of their last six games. Martin Brodeur, at the age of 41, pulled off his fourth straight victory – and nearly his third shut out in that span – with a 27-save performance.
It was a night when the veteran players got the job done for New Jersey.
Jaromir Jagr, also at the age of 41, scored twice in the third period. He now has seven goals on the season. Who says he’s too old?
“Great move: spin-o-rama, backhand shot, top shelf. Faked the goalie out. What a great move, what a great deke,” Jagr joked about his second of the night, which was an empty-net goal to secure the win for New Jersey.
It was career goal No. 688 for Jagr.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)