Nov 16, 2013, 12:38 AM EST
The Edmonton Oilers managed to get six defensemen on the ice on Friday, yet they struggled mightily to contain the San Jose Sharks in a 3-1 loss.
To little surprise, Joe Thornton was dominant, collecting three assists. He now has a ridiculous 21 helpers on the season. In mid-November. Tomas Hertl continues to look sharp as well, even if it obviously helps to have Jumbo Joe feeding you perfect passes.
Sure, 3-1 isn’t a bloodbath by any means, but San Jose basically ended the game about three minutes into the second period when they fattened their lead to 3-0.
As far as good news goes for the Oilers, here are a few bits:
- Nail Yakupov scored, which might mean that people will lighten up for a day or two. Maybe.
- The Oilers ended a three-game goalless streak in Edmonton.
- They don’t have to wonder if they would’ve won with Ilya Bryzgalov in net, as he was lousy in the AHL tonight. (OK, that might not really be all that positive.)
- Finally, Oilers fans might be depressed, but at least there are some creative types among their ranks. Feast your eyes on this charitable take on the paper bag tradition, which CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz shared:
If only the Oilers’ front office displayed such inventiveness …
Mar 8, 2014, 12:58 PM EST
It will be his first start with Washington.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
They were key players in Finland’s bronze medal run in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
The Lightning are trying to get out of a rut just days after trading Martin St. Louis.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:40 AM EST
He’s open to continuing his career as a backup goaltender.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
Ottawa has been underwhelming this season.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:03 AM EST
He hasn’t taken a penalty yet this season.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:05 AM EST
Marc-Andre Fleury was busy in this one.
Mar 8, 2014, 1:11 AM EST
On a special night for one of the franchise’s greats.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:24 AM EST
This is just…sick. But awesome, too.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Played nine seasons in Calgary.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:19 PM EST
Last shift came late in first period.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:03 PM EST
Goals, goals and more goals in this one.
Mar 7, 2014, 10:28 PM EST
His first NHL start since Feb. 8.
Mar 7, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Remember that blockbuster trade the other day?
Mar 7, 2014, 9:27 PM EST
Just keeps on going.
Mar 7, 2014, 9:04 PM EST
Happened 10 years ago Saturday.
Mar 7, 2014, 8:26 PM EST
Ottawa in a battle to make the playoffs.
Mar 7, 2014, 7:22 PM EST
He’s one of the top scorers for AHL Utica.
Mar 7, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
And the Stanley Cup, obviously.
Mar 7, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
He was New York’s leading scorer at the time of injury.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 25
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)