Nov 16, 2013, 12:38 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers managed to get six defensemen on the ice on Friday, yet they struggled mightily to contain the San Jose Sharks in a 3-1 loss.
To little surprise, Joe Thornton was dominant, collecting three assists. He now has a ridiculous 21 helpers on the season. In mid-November. Tomas Hertl continues to look sharp as well, even if it obviously helps to have Jumbo Joe feeding you perfect passes.
Sure, 3-1 isn’t a bloodbath by any means, but San Jose basically ended the game about three minutes into the second period when they fattened their lead to 3-0.
As far as good news goes for the Oilers, here are a few bits:
- Nail Yakupov scored, which might mean that people will lighten up for a day or two. Maybe.
- The Oilers ended a three-game goalless streak in Edmonton.
- They don’t have to wonder if they would’ve won with Ilya Bryzgalov in net, as he was lousy in the AHL tonight. (OK, that might not really be all that positive.)
- Finally, Oilers fans might be depressed, but at least there are some creative types among their ranks. Feast your eyes on this charitable take on the paper bag tradition, which CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz shared:
If only the Oilers’ front office displayed such inventiveness …
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)