Nov 16, 2013, 12:38 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers managed to get six defensemen on the ice on Friday, yet they struggled mightily to contain the San Jose Sharks in a 3-1 loss.
To little surprise, Joe Thornton was dominant, collecting three assists. He now has a ridiculous 21 helpers on the season. In mid-November. Tomas Hertl continues to look sharp as well, even if it obviously helps to have Jumbo Joe feeding you perfect passes.
Sure, 3-1 isn’t a bloodbath by any means, but San Jose basically ended the game about three minutes into the second period when they fattened their lead to 3-0.
As far as good news goes for the Oilers, here are a few bits:
- Nail Yakupov scored, which might mean that people will lighten up for a day or two. Maybe.
- The Oilers ended a three-game goalless streak in Edmonton.
- They don’t have to wonder if they would’ve won with Ilya Bryzgalov in net, as he was lousy in the AHL tonight. (OK, that might not really be all that positive.)
- Finally, Oilers fans might be depressed, but at least there are some creative types among their ranks. Feast your eyes on this charitable take on the paper bag tradition, which CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz shared:
If only the Oilers’ front office displayed such inventiveness …
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 5
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 2
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 11
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2