Nov 16, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
A season that began with cautious optimism has turned into a nightmare for the Edmonton Oilers. They suffered a 3-1 loss to the San Jose Sharks last night to fall to a dismal 4-15-2. That puts them on track for a possible fourth first-overall pick in just five seasons.
Forward Taylor Hall was the first of those top draft selections. He’s endured losing season after losing season and he’s sick of it.
“We need to win. Doesn’t matter how. We need it.”
It certainly doesn’t help matters that the Oilers have been snake-bitten at home, scoring just three goals in their last six games in Rexall Place. That’s particularly troubling because, if anything, Edmonton should at least be able to score with all the skilled forwards they have.
Perhaps they’ll still turn their season around, but they’re already 17 points shy of a playoff spot. Of course, if they can’t, there’s always a chance that GM Craig MacTavish will do something bold.
I've seen Taylor Hall after almost every loss. I have never seen him like I just did.The kid cares a ton but the defeats are wearing on him.
— Gene Principe (@GenePrincipe) November 16, 2013
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)