Nov 16, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
A season that began with cautious optimism has turned into a nightmare for the Edmonton Oilers. They suffered a 3-1 loss to the San Jose Sharks last night to fall to a dismal 4-15-2. That puts them on track for a possible fourth first-overall pick in just five seasons.
Forward Taylor Hall was the first of those top draft selections. He’s endured losing season after losing season and he’s sick of it.
“We need to win. Doesn’t matter how. We need it.”
It certainly doesn’t help matters that the Oilers have been snake-bitten at home, scoring just three goals in their last six games in Rexall Place. That’s particularly troubling because, if anything, Edmonton should at least be able to score with all the skilled forwards they have.
Perhaps they’ll still turn their season around, but they’re already 17 points shy of a playoff spot. Of course, if they can’t, there’s always a chance that GM Craig MacTavish will do something bold.
I've seen Taylor Hall after almost every loss. I have never seen him like I just did.The kid cares a ton but the defeats are wearing on him.
— Gene Principe (@GenePrincipe) November 16, 2013
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 11
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 21
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 58
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (91)