Nov 16, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
A season that began with cautious optimism has turned into a nightmare for the Edmonton Oilers. They suffered a 3-1 loss to the San Jose Sharks last night to fall to a dismal 4-15-2. That puts them on track for a possible fourth first-overall pick in just five seasons.
Forward Taylor Hall was the first of those top draft selections. He’s endured losing season after losing season and he’s sick of it.
“We need to win. Doesn’t matter how. We need it.”
It certainly doesn’t help matters that the Oilers have been snake-bitten at home, scoring just three goals in their last six games in Rexall Place. That’s particularly troubling because, if anything, Edmonton should at least be able to score with all the skilled forwards they have.
Perhaps they’ll still turn their season around, but they’re already 17 points shy of a playoff spot. Of course, if they can’t, there’s always a chance that GM Craig MacTavish will do something bold.
I've seen Taylor Hall after almost every loss. I have never seen him like I just did.The kid cares a ton but the defeats are wearing on him.
— Gene Principe (@GenePrincipe) November 16, 2013
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)