Nov 16, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
A season that began with cautious optimism has turned into a nightmare for the Edmonton Oilers. They suffered a 3-1 loss to the San Jose Sharks last night to fall to a dismal 4-15-2. That puts them on track for a possible fourth first-overall pick in just five seasons.
Forward Taylor Hall was the first of those top draft selections. He’s endured losing season after losing season and he’s sick of it.
“We need to win. Doesn’t matter how. We need it.”
It certainly doesn’t help matters that the Oilers have been snake-bitten at home, scoring just three goals in their last six games in Rexall Place. That’s particularly troubling because, if anything, Edmonton should at least be able to score with all the skilled forwards they have.
Perhaps they’ll still turn their season around, but they’re already 17 points shy of a playoff spot. Of course, if they can’t, there’s always a chance that GM Craig MacTavish will do something bold.
I've seen Taylor Hall after almost every loss. I have never seen him like I just did.The kid cares a ton but the defeats are wearing on him.
— Gene Principe (@GenePrincipe) November 16, 2013
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)