Nov 16, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
For the first time this season, the first and second overall selections from this year’s NHL Draft are matched up against each other.
Both players sit in the Top 10 for rookie scoring so far. MacKinnon has three goals and 12 points, while Barkov has four goals and eight points with the re-building Panthers.
“Obviously there’s some ups and downs every season, especially with this season,” MacKinnon told NHL.com.
“But it’s gone pretty smooth. It’s been the best couple months of my life so far. I love playing in the NHL. I wouldn’t trade it for anything right now.”
Tonight’s match-up between MacKinnon and Barkov adds an interesting storyline to a game that doesn’t necessarily boast much in the way of any kind of rivalry.
Their respective teams, aside from being in different conferences, have gone in opposite directions in the standings.
The Avalanche, despite two straight losses, sit second in the Central Division with a 14-4-0 record, two points back of the Chicago Blackhawks.
The Panthers are seventh in the Atlantic, with only four wins in 20 games. But the early returns on Barkov seem to be mostly positive, and expectations for his future are high.
“It’s amazing how these young guys can adjust like this and be ready to play in the NHL.”
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 4
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 72
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (72)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)