Nov 16, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
For the first time this season, the first and second overall selections from this year’s NHL Draft are matched up against each other.
Both players sit in the Top 10 for rookie scoring so far. MacKinnon has three goals and 12 points, while Barkov has four goals and eight points with the re-building Panthers.
“Obviously there’s some ups and downs every season, especially with this season,” MacKinnon told NHL.com.
“But it’s gone pretty smooth. It’s been the best couple months of my life so far. I love playing in the NHL. I wouldn’t trade it for anything right now.”
Tonight’s match-up between MacKinnon and Barkov adds an interesting storyline to a game that doesn’t necessarily boast much in the way of any kind of rivalry.
Their respective teams, aside from being in different conferences, have gone in opposite directions in the standings.
The Avalanche, despite two straight losses, sit second in the Central Division with a 14-4-0 record, two points back of the Chicago Blackhawks.
The Panthers are seventh in the Atlantic, with only four wins in 20 games. But the early returns on Barkov seem to be mostly positive, and expectations for his future are high.
“It’s amazing how these young guys can adjust like this and be ready to play in the NHL.”
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 14
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 88
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (88)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)