Nov 16, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
For the first time this season, the first and second overall selections from this year’s NHL Draft are matched up against each other.
Both players sit in the Top 10 for rookie scoring so far. MacKinnon has three goals and 12 points, while Barkov has four goals and eight points with the re-building Panthers.
“Obviously there’s some ups and downs every season, especially with this season,” MacKinnon told NHL.com.
“But it’s gone pretty smooth. It’s been the best couple months of my life so far. I love playing in the NHL. I wouldn’t trade it for anything right now.”
Tonight’s match-up between MacKinnon and Barkov adds an interesting storyline to a game that doesn’t necessarily boast much in the way of any kind of rivalry.
Their respective teams, aside from being in different conferences, have gone in opposite directions in the standings.
The Avalanche, despite two straight losses, sit second in the Central Division with a 14-4-0 record, two points back of the Chicago Blackhawks.
The Panthers are seventh in the Atlantic, with only four wins in 20 games. But the early returns on Barkov seem to be mostly positive, and expectations for his future are high.
“It’s amazing how these young guys can adjust like this and be ready to play in the NHL.”
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 43
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 10
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22