Nov 16, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
New Jersey defenseman Jon Merrill has a bright future ahead of him, but the 21-year-old’s career has gotten off to an unfortunate start. In just his third NHL shift early in the first period of the Devils’ 4-0 loss on Nov. 3, Merrill was tripped and crashed into the boards as a result.
When he got up, it was obvious that he had some significant facial lacerations, but it wasn’t immediately clear if he had suffered a concussion. Devils coach Pete DeBoer confirmed on Friday that Merrill is dealing with one and that’s what’s keeping him on the sidelines, according to the Bergen Record.
The good news is that Merrill was back on the ice yesterday. That’s a step that his concussed teammate, forward Ryane Clowe, hasn’t been able to take yet.
New Jersey suffered a 2-0 loss against Los Angeles last night, but they have a chance to put that behind them tonight versus the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 0
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 2
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 42
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)