Nov 16, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
New Jersey defenseman Jon Merrill has a bright future ahead of him, but the 21-year-old’s career has gotten off to an unfortunate start. In just his third NHL shift early in the first period of the Devils’ 4-0 loss on Nov. 3, Merrill was tripped and crashed into the boards as a result.
When he got up, it was obvious that he had some significant facial lacerations, but it wasn’t immediately clear if he had suffered a concussion. Devils coach Pete DeBoer confirmed on Friday that Merrill is dealing with one and that’s what’s keeping him on the sidelines, according to the Bergen Record.
The good news is that Merrill was back on the ice yesterday. That’s a step that his concussed teammate, forward Ryane Clowe, hasn’t been able to take yet.
New Jersey suffered a 2-0 loss against Los Angeles last night, but they have a chance to put that behind them tonight versus the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)