Nov 16, 2013, 10:31 AM EST
New Jersey defenseman Jon Merrill has a bright future ahead of him, but the 21-year-old’s career has gotten off to an unfortunate start. In just his third NHL shift early in the first period of the Devils’ 4-0 loss on Nov. 3, Merrill was tripped and crashed into the boards as a result.
When he got up, it was obvious that he had some significant facial lacerations, but it wasn’t immediately clear if he had suffered a concussion. Devils coach Pete DeBoer confirmed on Friday that Merrill is dealing with one and that’s what’s keeping him on the sidelines, according to the Bergen Record.
The good news is that Merrill was back on the ice yesterday. That’s a step that his concussed teammate, forward Ryane Clowe, hasn’t been able to take yet.
New Jersey suffered a 2-0 loss against Los Angeles last night, but they have a chance to put that behind them tonight versus the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)