Nov 15, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
With Niklas Backstrom hurt, Minnesota has recalled Johan Gustafsson from its AHL affiliate in Iowa.
Gustafsson, 21, is 3-1-0 this season in Iowa with a 2.45 GAA and .920 save percentage. Though he’s yet to make his NHL debut for the Wild, he has been brought up once already this season and this latest recall marks the second straight time he’s gotten the nod over Darcy Kuemper, the Wild’s other young goaltending prospect that’s played seven games at the NHL level.
Backstrom was injured during Wednesday night’s 2-1 shootout win over Toronto. He was bowled over by Nazem Kadri midway through the first period and was forced from the game, failing to return. Josh Harding took over in goal and will be the starter tonight when Minnesota takes on Florida — it’s unclear when Backstrom will return from injury, or if Gustafsson will see some action with the veteran Finn on the shelf.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5