Nov 15, 2013, 10:50 AM EST
With Niklas Backstrom hurt, Minnesota has recalled Johan Gustafsson from its AHL affiliate in Iowa.
Gustafsson, 21, is 3-1-0 this season in Iowa with a 2.45 GAA and .920 save percentage. Though he’s yet to make his NHL debut for the Wild, he has been brought up once already this season and this latest recall marks the second straight time he’s gotten the nod over Darcy Kuemper, the Wild’s other young goaltending prospect that’s played seven games at the NHL level.
Backstrom was injured during Wednesday night’s 2-1 shootout win over Toronto. He was bowled over by Nazem Kadri midway through the first period and was forced from the game, failing to return. Josh Harding took over in goal and will be the starter tonight when Minnesota takes on Florida — it’s unclear when Backstrom will return from injury, or if Gustafsson will see some action with the veteran Finn on the shelf.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54