Nov 15, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
With Niklas Backstrom hurt, Minnesota has recalled Johan Gustafsson from its AHL affiliate in Iowa.
Gustafsson, 21, is 3-1-0 this season in Iowa with a 2.45 GAA and .920 save percentage. Though he’s yet to make his NHL debut for the Wild, he has been brought up once already this season and this latest recall marks the second straight time he’s gotten the nod over Darcy Kuemper, the Wild’s other young goaltending prospect that’s played seven games at the NHL level.
Backstrom was injured during Wednesday night’s 2-1 shootout win over Toronto. He was bowled over by Nazem Kadri midway through the first period and was forced from the game, failing to return. Josh Harding took over in goal and will be the starter tonight when Minnesota takes on Florida — it’s unclear when Backstrom will return from injury, or if Gustafsson will see some action with the veteran Finn on the shelf.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 6
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 11
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 49
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 104
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (104)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)