Nov 15, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
With Niklas Backstrom hurt, Minnesota has recalled Johan Gustafsson from its AHL affiliate in Iowa.
Gustafsson, 21, is 3-1-0 this season in Iowa with a 2.45 GAA and .920 save percentage. Though he’s yet to make his NHL debut for the Wild, he has been brought up once already this season and this latest recall marks the second straight time he’s gotten the nod over Darcy Kuemper, the Wild’s other young goaltending prospect that’s played seven games at the NHL level.
Backstrom was injured during Wednesday night’s 2-1 shootout win over Toronto. He was bowled over by Nazem Kadri midway through the first period and was forced from the game, failing to return. Josh Harding took over in goal and will be the starter tonight when Minnesota takes on Florida — it’s unclear when Backstrom will return from injury, or if Gustafsson will see some action with the veteran Finn on the shelf.
- Wild hoping last change can help turn the tide versus Avs 0
- Wild changes: Kuemper starts, Brodziak sits, Heatley draws in 2
- No hearing scheduled for Richards after Couture spear 8
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 14
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 25
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 31
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 68
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (152)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (112)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (96)