Nov 15, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
With Niklas Backstrom hurt, Minnesota has recalled Johan Gustafsson from its AHL affiliate in Iowa.
Gustafsson, 21, is 3-1-0 this season in Iowa with a 2.45 GAA and .920 save percentage. Though he’s yet to make his NHL debut for the Wild, he has been brought up once already this season and this latest recall marks the second straight time he’s gotten the nod over Darcy Kuemper, the Wild’s other young goaltending prospect that’s played seven games at the NHL level.
Backstrom was injured during Wednesday night’s 2-1 shootout win over Toronto. He was bowled over by Nazem Kadri midway through the first period and was forced from the game, failing to return. Josh Harding took over in goal and will be the starter tonight when Minnesota takes on Florida — it’s unclear when Backstrom will return from injury, or if Gustafsson will see some action with the veteran Finn on the shelf.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)