Nov 15, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Not every goal has to be pretty.
With St. Louis already up 5-1 in the third period of last night’s contest against Colorado, Blues forward Alexander Steen skated towards the crease as Avalanche goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere swatted down a high shot but couldn’t control it. Giguere seemed to lose sight of the puck as Steen shoved it past the generously sized five-hole.
You can watch that play below:
That was Steen’s NHL-leading 16th goal in 17 games. It also extended his point streak to 12 games to put him into a tie with Sidney Crosby for first place in the league with 24 points. Those are incredible numbers for any player, but it’s especially remarkable when you consider that the 29-year-old Blues forward has never scored more than 24 goals or 51 points in a single season.
He also reached the 15-goal mark earlier in the contest:
It’s worth noting that Steen exited the game before it’s conclusion, but Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said that Steen is “100 percent,” according to NHL.com’s Lou Korac.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)