Nov 15, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
Not every goal has to be pretty.
With St. Louis already up 5-1 in the third period of last night’s contest against Colorado, Blues forward Alexander Steen skated towards the crease as Avalanche goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere swatted down a high shot but couldn’t control it. Giguere seemed to lose sight of the puck as Steen shoved it past the generously sized five-hole.
You can watch that play below:
That was Steen’s NHL-leading 16th goal in 17 games. It also extended his point streak to 12 games to put him into a tie with Sidney Crosby for first place in the league with 24 points. Those are incredible numbers for any player, but it’s especially remarkable when you consider that the 29-year-old Blues forward has never scored more than 24 goals or 51 points in a single season.
He also reached the 15-goal mark earlier in the contest:
It’s worth noting that Steen exited the game before it’s conclusion, but Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said that Steen is “100 percent,” according to NHL.com’s Lou Korac.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)