Nov 15, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Not every goal has to be pretty.
With St. Louis already up 5-1 in the third period of last night’s contest against Colorado, Blues forward Alexander Steen skated towards the crease as Avalanche goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere swatted down a high shot but couldn’t control it. Giguere seemed to lose sight of the puck as Steen shoved it past the generously sized five-hole.
You can watch that play below:
That was Steen’s NHL-leading 16th goal in 17 games. It also extended his point streak to 12 games to put him into a tie with Sidney Crosby for first place in the league with 24 points. Those are incredible numbers for any player, but it’s especially remarkable when you consider that the 29-year-old Blues forward has never scored more than 24 goals or 51 points in a single season.
He also reached the 15-goal mark earlier in the contest:
It’s worth noting that Steen exited the game before it’s conclusion, but Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said that Steen is “100 percent,” according to NHL.com’s Lou Korac.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 12
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 39
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)