Nov 15, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Not every goal has to be pretty.
With St. Louis already up 5-1 in the third period of last night’s contest against Colorado, Blues forward Alexander Steen skated towards the crease as Avalanche goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere swatted down a high shot but couldn’t control it. Giguere seemed to lose sight of the puck as Steen shoved it past the generously sized five-hole.
You can watch that play below:
That was Steen’s NHL-leading 16th goal in 17 games. It also extended his point streak to 12 games to put him into a tie with Sidney Crosby for first place in the league with 24 points. Those are incredible numbers for any player, but it’s especially remarkable when you consider that the 29-year-old Blues forward has never scored more than 24 goals or 51 points in a single season.
He also reached the 15-goal mark earlier in the contest:
It’s worth noting that Steen exited the game before it’s conclusion, but Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said that Steen is “100 percent,” according to NHL.com’s Lou Korac.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 19
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 61
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (61)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)