Nov 15, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Not every goal has to be pretty.
With St. Louis already up 5-1 in the third period of last night’s contest against Colorado, Blues forward Alexander Steen skated towards the crease as Avalanche goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere swatted down a high shot but couldn’t control it. Giguere seemed to lose sight of the puck as Steen shoved it past the generously sized five-hole.
You can watch that play below:
That was Steen’s NHL-leading 16th goal in 17 games. It also extended his point streak to 12 games to put him into a tie with Sidney Crosby for first place in the league with 24 points. Those are incredible numbers for any player, but it’s especially remarkable when you consider that the 29-year-old Blues forward has never scored more than 24 goals or 51 points in a single season.
He also reached the 15-goal mark earlier in the contest:
It’s worth noting that Steen exited the game before it’s conclusion, but Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said that Steen is “100 percent,” according to NHL.com’s Lou Korac.
- Report: Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 0
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 23
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 53
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)