Nov 15, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
On Thursday night, Panthers GM Dale Tallon made waves by sending Kris Versteeg back to Chicago in exchange for prospects Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen.
Apparently, there are more waves to come.
“I’m not happy where the team is,” Tallon said, as per the Miami Herald. “We’re going to continue to be aggressive, help the franchise move forward.”
In this instance, being aggressive meant taking on some financial responsibility. Florida is absorbing 50 percent of Versteeg’s salary and cap hit for the three remaining years on his four-year, $17.6 million deal — meaning the Panthers are now carrying a $2.2 million cap hit and paying Versteeg around $2.3 million annually until 2016.
Yes, welcome to the new NHL, where GM’s looking to deal have to find creative ways to get it done.
But Tallon did say he wanted to be aggressive, and it doesn’t sound like he’s bluffing. He already cleaned house by firing Kevin Dineen and Dineen’s entire coaching staff, and later placed veteran defenseman Ryan Whitney on waivers.
Just to further hammer home the point, Tallon told the Panthers website he’s not done shaking things up.
“We want to be big, we want to be strong, we want to be deep, we want to be tougher,” he said. “We are going to continue to be aggressive and make changes.”
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 7
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)