Nov 15, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
On Thursday night, Panthers GM Dale Tallon made waves by sending Kris Versteeg back to Chicago in exchange for prospects Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen.
Apparently, there are more waves to come.
“I’m not happy where the team is,” Tallon said, as per the Miami Herald. “We’re going to continue to be aggressive, help the franchise move forward.”
In this instance, being aggressive meant taking on some financial responsibility. Florida is absorbing 50 percent of Versteeg’s salary and cap hit for the three remaining years on his four-year, $17.6 million deal — meaning the Panthers are now carrying a $2.2 million cap hit and paying Versteeg around $2.3 million annually until 2016.
Yes, welcome to the new NHL, where GM’s looking to deal have to find creative ways to get it done.
But Tallon did say he wanted to be aggressive, and it doesn’t sound like he’s bluffing. He already cleaned house by firing Kevin Dineen and Dineen’s entire coaching staff, and later placed veteran defenseman Ryan Whitney on waivers.
Just to further hammer home the point, Tallon told the Panthers website he’s not done shaking things up.
“We want to be big, we want to be strong, we want to be deep, we want to be tougher,” he said. “We are going to continue to be aggressive and make changes.”
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)