Nov 15, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
On Thursday night, Panthers GM Dale Tallon made waves by sending Kris Versteeg back to Chicago in exchange for prospects Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen.
Apparently, there are more waves to come.
“I’m not happy where the team is,” Tallon said, as per the Miami Herald. “We’re going to continue to be aggressive, help the franchise move forward.”
In this instance, being aggressive meant taking on some financial responsibility. Florida is absorbing 50 percent of Versteeg’s salary and cap hit for the three remaining years on his four-year, $17.6 million deal — meaning the Panthers are now carrying a $2.2 million cap hit and paying Versteeg around $2.3 million annually until 2016.
Yes, welcome to the new NHL, where GM’s looking to deal have to find creative ways to get it done.
But Tallon did say he wanted to be aggressive, and it doesn’t sound like he’s bluffing. He already cleaned house by firing Kevin Dineen and Dineen’s entire coaching staff, and later placed veteran defenseman Ryan Whitney on waivers.
Just to further hammer home the point, Tallon told the Panthers website he’s not done shaking things up.
“We want to be big, we want to be strong, we want to be deep, we want to be tougher,” he said. “We are going to continue to be aggressive and make changes.”
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 9
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 8
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 32
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)