Nov 15, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
On Thursday night, Panthers GM Dale Tallon made waves by sending Kris Versteeg back to Chicago in exchange for prospects Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen.
Apparently, there are more waves to come.
“I’m not happy where the team is,” Tallon said, as per the Miami Herald. “We’re going to continue to be aggressive, help the franchise move forward.”
In this instance, being aggressive meant taking on some financial responsibility. Florida is absorbing 50 percent of Versteeg’s salary and cap hit for the three remaining years on his four-year, $17.6 million deal — meaning the Panthers are now carrying a $2.2 million cap hit and paying Versteeg around $2.3 million annually until 2016.
Yes, welcome to the new NHL, where GM’s looking to deal have to find creative ways to get it done.
But Tallon did say he wanted to be aggressive, and it doesn’t sound like he’s bluffing. He already cleaned house by firing Kevin Dineen and Dineen’s entire coaching staff, and later placed veteran defenseman Ryan Whitney on waivers.
Just to further hammer home the point, Tallon told the Panthers website he’s not done shaking things up.
“We want to be big, we want to be strong, we want to be deep, we want to be tougher,” he said. “We are going to continue to be aggressive and make changes.”
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 15
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 4
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 43
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 20
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 9
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 86
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (86)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)