Nov 15, 2013, 2:13 PM EDT
It appears the injury suffered by Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom on Wednesday was a concussion.
That’s the word out of Minnesota on Friday as the Star-Tribune’s Mike Russo reports Backstrom is listed as day-t0-day with “what I am told is indeed a concussion,” confirming earlier speculation.
Backstrom, 35, has already missed four games this season with a knee injury and will miss at least one — he’s been ruled out of tonight’s game vs. Florida — with this latest setback.
This is just the latest development in what’s been a tough campaign for the Finnish netminder, as he’s essentially lost his starting gig to Josh Harding and doesn’t seem likely to win it back anytime soon.
Backstrom suffered the concussion on Wednesday in a collision with Toronto forward Nazem Kadri during a 2-1 shootout win. Kadri, who told reporters the hit was accidental, has been suspended three games by NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan for goalie interference.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 11
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 2
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 20
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Video: More late-game nastiness between Flames, Canucks 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)