Nov 15, 2013, 2:13 PM EDT
It appears the injury suffered by Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom on Wednesday was a concussion.
That’s the word out of Minnesota on Friday as the Star-Tribune’s Mike Russo reports Backstrom is listed as day-t0-day with “what I am told is indeed a concussion,” confirming earlier speculation.
Backstrom, 35, has already missed four games this season with a knee injury and will miss at least one — he’s been ruled out of tonight’s game vs. Florida — with this latest setback.
This is just the latest development in what’s been a tough campaign for the Finnish netminder, as he’s essentially lost his starting gig to Josh Harding and doesn’t seem likely to win it back anytime soon.
Backstrom suffered the concussion on Wednesday in a collision with Toronto forward Nazem Kadri during a 2-1 shootout win. Kadri, who told reporters the hit was accidental, has been suspended three games by NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan for goalie interference.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)