Nov 15, 2013, 2:13 PM EDT
It appears the injury suffered by Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom on Wednesday was a concussion.
That’s the word out of Minnesota on Friday as the Star-Tribune’s Mike Russo reports Backstrom is listed as day-t0-day with “what I am told is indeed a concussion,” confirming earlier speculation.
Backstrom, 35, has already missed four games this season with a knee injury and will miss at least one — he’s been ruled out of tonight’s game vs. Florida — with this latest setback.
This is just the latest development in what’s been a tough campaign for the Finnish netminder, as he’s essentially lost his starting gig to Josh Harding and doesn’t seem likely to win it back anytime soon.
Backstrom suffered the concussion on Wednesday in a collision with Toronto forward Nazem Kadri during a 2-1 shootout win. Kadri, who told reporters the hit was accidental, has been suspended three games by NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan for goalie interference.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)