Nov 15, 2013, 2:13 PM EDT
It appears the injury suffered by Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom on Wednesday was a concussion.
That’s the word out of Minnesota on Friday as the Star-Tribune’s Mike Russo reports Backstrom is listed as day-t0-day with “what I am told is indeed a concussion,” confirming earlier speculation.
Backstrom, 35, has already missed four games this season with a knee injury and will miss at least one — he’s been ruled out of tonight’s game vs. Florida — with this latest setback.
This is just the latest development in what’s been a tough campaign for the Finnish netminder, as he’s essentially lost his starting gig to Josh Harding and doesn’t seem likely to win it back anytime soon.
Backstrom suffered the concussion on Wednesday in a collision with Toronto forward Nazem Kadri during a 2-1 shootout win. Kadri, who told reporters the hit was accidental, has been suspended three games by NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan for goalie interference.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)