Nov 15, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings made Daniel Alfredsson a last-second scratch on Friday. Alfredsson’s missing tonight’s game because of a “tender groin,” according to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press.
St. James explains that this is the type of issue that often sidelines players 7-10 days.
Because of this unexpected issue, the Red Wings only have 17 players skating against the Capitals. Detroit is on a four-game losing streak, so this isn’t exactly the best news.
Generally speaking, Alfredsson has played well for the Red Wings, scoring 14 points in 19 games. He’s been slower lately, however, with just one assist in his last four games. Maybe that issue was slowing him down and he decided to take a breather?
In other Alfredsson news, the Ottawa Sun reports that the Senators will “do something” for their former captain during his first game back in Ottawa on Dec. 1. OK then.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)