Nov 15, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings made Daniel Alfredsson a last-second scratch on Friday. Alfredsson’s missing tonight’s game because of a “tender groin,” according to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press.
St. James explains that this is the type of issue that often sidelines players 7-10 days.
Because of this unexpected issue, the Red Wings only have 17 players skating against the Capitals. Detroit is on a four-game losing streak, so this isn’t exactly the best news.
Generally speaking, Alfredsson has played well for the Red Wings, scoring 14 points in 19 games. He’s been slower lately, however, with just one assist in his last four games. Maybe that issue was slowing him down and he decided to take a breather?
In other Alfredsson news, the Ottawa Sun reports that the Senators will “do something” for their former captain during his first game back in Ottawa on Dec. 1. OK then.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 64
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)