Nov 15, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings made Daniel Alfredsson a last-second scratch on Friday. Alfredsson’s missing tonight’s game because of a “tender groin,” according to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press.
St. James explains that this is the type of issue that often sidelines players 7-10 days.
Because of this unexpected issue, the Red Wings only have 17 players skating against the Capitals. Detroit is on a four-game losing streak, so this isn’t exactly the best news.
Generally speaking, Alfredsson has played well for the Red Wings, scoring 14 points in 19 games. He’s been slower lately, however, with just one assist in his last four games. Maybe that issue was slowing him down and he decided to take a breather?
In other Alfredsson news, the Ottawa Sun reports that the Senators will “do something” for their former captain during his first game back in Ottawa on Dec. 1. OK then.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 42
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (127)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)