Nov 15, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings made Daniel Alfredsson a last-second scratch on Friday. Alfredsson’s missing tonight’s game because of a “tender groin,” according to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press.
St. James explains that this is the type of issue that often sidelines players 7-10 days.
Because of this unexpected issue, the Red Wings only have 17 players skating against the Capitals. Detroit is on a four-game losing streak, so this isn’t exactly the best news.
Generally speaking, Alfredsson has played well for the Red Wings, scoring 14 points in 19 games. He’s been slower lately, however, with just one assist in his last four games. Maybe that issue was slowing him down and he decided to take a breather?
In other Alfredsson news, the Ottawa Sun reports that the Senators will “do something” for their former captain during his first game back in Ottawa on Dec. 1. OK then.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)