Nov 15, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings made Daniel Alfredsson a last-second scratch on Friday. Alfredsson’s missing tonight’s game because of a “tender groin,” according to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press.
St. James explains that this is the type of issue that often sidelines players 7-10 days.
Because of this unexpected issue, the Red Wings only have 17 players skating against the Capitals. Detroit is on a four-game losing streak, so this isn’t exactly the best news.
Generally speaking, Alfredsson has played well for the Red Wings, scoring 14 points in 19 games. He’s been slower lately, however, with just one assist in his last four games. Maybe that issue was slowing him down and he decided to take a breather?
In other Alfredsson news, the Ottawa Sun reports that the Senators will “do something” for their former captain during his first game back in Ottawa on Dec. 1. OK then.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 7
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 18
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)