Nov 15, 2013, 9:29 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins broke their three-game slump at the expense of the Nashville Predators by a score of 4-1 on Friday, extending Nashville’s losing streak to four games.
It was also a night in which some struggling Penguins bounced back. James Neal scored his first goal of 2013-14, possibly showing that he’s over the injury issues that have limited him to just four games. Evgeni Malkin looked strong and Pascal Dupuis ended his month-long goalless nightmare.
The Predators must feel like the ultimate rebound generator right now. The Winnipeg Jets had lost seven of nine before trampling Nashville 5-0. New Jersey just ended a slump of its own before beating the Predators. The New York Islanders’ only win in their last six games came against Nashville and now Pittsburgh broke its dry spell tonight.
Nashville isn’t just losing; the Predators are getting pummeled. They’ve been outscored 17-2 in their last four games. Even golden rookie Seth Jones seems to be struggling; he played in less than three minutes in the first period and didn’t log his usual hefty amount of ice time (17:23 overall).
Considering the big changes in Buffalo and Florida this past week, Preds head coach Barry Trotz and maybe even GM David Poile might be feeling the heat.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)