Nov 15, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers sent surprisingly effective rookie forward Mark Arcobello (pictured) to the AHL in exchange for defenseman Oscar Klefbom on Friday. Unfortunately, Klefbom won’t arrive in time to play, so several observers note that the Oilers may be limited to five defensemen tonight.
You know things are messy for a team when even seemingly mundane roster moves don’t work out.
Maybe the Oilers simply note that their defense is bad and so they’ll just put less on the ice?
All snark aside, it could be a tough break, especially since they face an imposing San Jose Sharks attack. Arcobello has been an under-the-radar success, but the word is that the Oilers made the adjustment because of the Sharks’ substantial size.
More than a few people believe that Arcobello, 25, got the short end of the stick tonight, the Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson included.
— Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) November 15, 2013
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 2
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 14
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 15
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9