Nov 15, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers sent surprisingly effective rookie forward Mark Arcobello (pictured) to the AHL in exchange for defenseman Oscar Klefbom on Friday. Unfortunately, Klefbom won’t arrive in time to play, so several observers note that the Oilers may be limited to five defensemen tonight.
You know things are messy for a team when even seemingly mundane roster moves don’t work out.
Maybe the Oilers simply note that their defense is bad and so they’ll just put less on the ice?
All snark aside, it could be a tough break, especially since they face an imposing San Jose Sharks attack. Arcobello has been an under-the-radar success, but the word is that the Oilers made the adjustment because of the Sharks’ substantial size.
More than a few people believe that Arcobello, 25, got the short end of the stick tonight, the Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson included.
— Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) November 15, 2013
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 26
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 13
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 81
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)