Nov 15, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers sent surprisingly effective rookie forward Mark Arcobello (pictured) to the AHL in exchange for defenseman Oscar Klefbom on Friday. Unfortunately, Klefbom won’t arrive in time to play, so several observers note that the Oilers may be limited to five defensemen tonight.
You know things are messy for a team when even seemingly mundane roster moves don’t work out.
Maybe the Oilers simply note that their defense is bad and so they’ll just put less on the ice?
All snark aside, it could be a tough break, especially since they face an imposing San Jose Sharks attack. Arcobello has been an under-the-radar success, but the word is that the Oilers made the adjustment because of the Sharks’ substantial size.
More than a few people believe that Arcobello, 25, got the short end of the stick tonight, the Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson included.
— Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) November 15, 2013
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)