Nov 15, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers sent surprisingly effective rookie forward Mark Arcobello (pictured) to the AHL in exchange for defenseman Oscar Klefbom on Friday. Unfortunately, Klefbom won’t arrive in time to play, so several observers note that the Oilers may be limited to five defensemen tonight.
You know things are messy for a team when even seemingly mundane roster moves don’t work out.
Maybe the Oilers simply note that their defense is bad and so they’ll just put less on the ice?
All snark aside, it could be a tough break, especially since they face an imposing San Jose Sharks attack. Arcobello has been an under-the-radar success, but the word is that the Oilers made the adjustment because of the Sharks’ substantial size.
More than a few people believe that Arcobello, 25, got the short end of the stick tonight, the Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson included.
— Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) November 15, 2013
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 57
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12