Nov 15, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers sent surprisingly effective rookie forward Mark Arcobello (pictured) to the AHL in exchange for defenseman Oscar Klefbom on Friday. Unfortunately, Klefbom won’t arrive in time to play, so several observers note that the Oilers may be limited to five defensemen tonight.
You know things are messy for a team when even seemingly mundane roster moves don’t work out.
Maybe the Oilers simply note that their defense is bad and so they’ll just put less on the ice?
All snark aside, it could be a tough break, especially since they face an imposing San Jose Sharks attack. Arcobello has been an under-the-radar success, but the word is that the Oilers made the adjustment because of the Sharks’ substantial size.
More than a few people believe that Arcobello, 25, got the short end of the stick tonight, the Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson included.
— Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) November 15, 2013
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 3
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 8
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)