Nov 15, 2013, 8:55 AM EST
Back in the 2012 playoffs, Chicago’s Andrew Shaw received a three-game suspension for charging into Phoenix Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith. More than a year later, it looks like that incident still isn’t far from Smith’s mind.
With Phoenix and Chicago’s game on Thursday tied at 4-4 in the third period, Shaw once again nailed Smith with enough force to knock them both down.
That’s not to suggest that the two events are comparable. Shaw raced behind the net and directly into Smith in 2012 while last night’s hit might have even been unintentional contact given that Shaw was positioning himself near the crease when he appeared to be shoved by Phoenix forward Lauri Korpikoski.
Still, Smith took offense and went after Shaw as soon as they were on their skates. As a result, Smith was given a two minute roughing penalty that canceled out Shaw’s minor for goalie interference.
“He has a reputation of two years ago, knocking me out and it was kind of a dirty play back in front again,” Smith said after the game, according to CSN Chicago. “I’ve talked about it numerous times with the league. When we talk about vulnerable hits, that’s a goalie down in front trying to make the save and guy sticks his elbow out. That’s attempt to injure as far as I’m concerned.”
Smith stayed in the game, but suffered a 5-4 shootout loss to the Blackhawks.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 15
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)