Nov 15, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Back in the 2012 playoffs, Chicago’s Andrew Shaw received a three-game suspension for charging into Phoenix Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith. More than a year later, it looks like that incident still isn’t far from Smith’s mind.
With Phoenix and Chicago’s game on Thursday tied at 4-4 in the third period, Shaw once again nailed Smith with enough force to knock them both down.
That’s not to suggest that the two events are comparable. Shaw raced behind the net and directly into Smith in 2012 while last night’s hit might have even been unintentional contact given that Shaw was positioning himself near the crease when he appeared to be shoved by Phoenix forward Lauri Korpikoski.
Still, Smith took offense and went after Shaw as soon as they were on their skates. As a result, Smith was given a two minute roughing penalty that canceled out Shaw’s minor for goalie interference.
“He has a reputation of two years ago, knocking me out and it was kind of a dirty play back in front again,” Smith said after the game, according to CSN Chicago. “I’ve talked about it numerous times with the league. When we talk about vulnerable hits, that’s a goalie down in front trying to make the save and guy sticks his elbow out. That’s attempt to injure as far as I’m concerned.”
Smith stayed in the game, but suffered a 5-4 shootout loss to the Blackhawks.
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 38
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 70
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 9
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 24
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 32
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 65
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)