Nov 15, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Back in the 2012 playoffs, Chicago’s Andrew Shaw received a three-game suspension for charging into Phoenix Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith. More than a year later, it looks like that incident still isn’t far from Smith’s mind.
With Phoenix and Chicago’s game on Thursday tied at 4-4 in the third period, Shaw once again nailed Smith with enough force to knock them both down.
That’s not to suggest that the two events are comparable. Shaw raced behind the net and directly into Smith in 2012 while last night’s hit might have even been unintentional contact given that Shaw was positioning himself near the crease when he appeared to be shoved by Phoenix forward Lauri Korpikoski.
Still, Smith took offense and went after Shaw as soon as they were on their skates. As a result, Smith was given a two minute roughing penalty that canceled out Shaw’s minor for goalie interference.
“He has a reputation of two years ago, knocking me out and it was kind of a dirty play back in front again,” Smith said after the game, according to CSN Chicago. “I’ve talked about it numerous times with the league. When we talk about vulnerable hits, that’s a goalie down in front trying to make the save and guy sticks his elbow out. That’s attempt to injure as far as I’m concerned.”
Smith stayed in the game, but suffered a 5-4 shootout loss to the Blackhawks.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 44
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)