Nov 15, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets bested the Philadelphia Flyers 3-2 via a shootout on Friday, showing that they’re the slightly hotter of two seemingly improving teams.
Like Washington, the Jets are making things happen in “the skills competition.” The Jets are on a four-game winning streak fueled by three straight shootout wins. They’ve already stacked up five SO wins in 2013-14.
Dustin Byfuglien scored both of the Jets’ goals on the power play. After going without a tally despite his tendency to shoot like a forward from the blueline, “Buffy the Hamburger Slayer” now has three goals in his last three games.
There’s some good news here and there for Philly, too, though.
Scott Hartnell‘s offensive game seems like it’s back from the dead, as he had a goal and an assist. Four of his five points in 2013-14 have come in the last four games. It seems like Philly’s top line of Hartnell, Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek are dominant once more.
In what’s becoming a trend, Steve Mason was the brightest spot for Philly, though. He stopped 36 out of 38 shots, managing to limit the Jets to one goal in the third period despite a 13-4 shot disparity.
The jury’s still out on how good (or bad) these two teams are, but neither seems ready to just roll over.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)