Nov 15, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
The Devils look as though they’ll have a welcome face in the lineup tonight after activating Patrick Elias from injured reserve.
“[My back] still bothers me, but not to the point where I’ll sit out,” Elias said following Friday’s morning skate, as per NHL.com.
The 37-year-old has been in discomfort for a while, which began following a pregame nap prior to a 4-3 win over Boston on Oct. 26. Elias awoke with back spasms, but gutted through to face the Bruins and, three nights later, a 2-1 win over Tampa Bay
Following the Lightning game, Elias was placed on IR (retroactively) and has since missed New Jersey’s last six games.
Overall, this has been a tough season for Elias’ health. He missed time earlier this season to a rough bout of food poisoning and, on the year, has only appeared in 10 of New Jersey’s 18 games.
That said, he has been a solid contributor when healthy. Despite the missed time, Elias still sits tied for third in team scoring, with seven points, and was averaging close to 19 minutes per game prior to the back spasms.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)