Nov 15, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
The Devils look as though they’ll have a welcome face in the lineup tonight after activating Patrick Elias from injured reserve.
“[My back] still bothers me, but not to the point where I’ll sit out,” Elias said following Friday’s morning skate, as per NHL.com.
The 37-year-old has been in discomfort for a while, which began following a pregame nap prior to a 4-3 win over Boston on Oct. 26. Elias awoke with back spasms, but gutted through to face the Bruins and, three nights later, a 2-1 win over Tampa Bay
Following the Lightning game, Elias was placed on IR (retroactively) and has since missed New Jersey’s last six games.
Overall, this has been a tough season for Elias’ health. He missed time earlier this season to a rough bout of food poisoning and, on the year, has only appeared in 10 of New Jersey’s 18 games.
That said, he has been a solid contributor when healthy. Despite the missed time, Elias still sits tied for third in team scoring, with seven points, and was averaging close to 19 minutes per game prior to the back spasms.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 78
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50