Nov 15, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Jon Cooper is adamant his star player will return to the ice this season.
That’s what the Lightning head coach said on Thursday when asked about when — or, if — leading scorer Steve Stamkos would be back in the lineup following surgery to repair a broken right tibia.
“In my heart, I know he’s coming back,” Cooper said, as per the St. Petersburg Times. “I have no doubt.”
Stamkos, who had a titanium rod inserted into his leg, has been given a timetable of 3-6 months, with the Times pointing out three months is “the most optimistic of the speculated timetables.” Complications from the rod insertion (hehe) or a rough patch of rehabilitation could delay his return.
Cooper said all signs are pointing in the right direction. The surgery went well — “nobody is saying the rod slipped” — and Stamkos, 23, is a disciple of the Gary Roberts training and lifestyle program. So all bodes well for a return.
But wait, a return for February? According to Cooper, that’s the bigger topic for discussion.
“I don’t think the question is going to be, ‘Is he coming back to play this year for the Tampa Bay Lightning?'” Cooper explained. “The question is, ‘Is he going to be back to play for the Canadian Olympic team?’
“I’m the optimistic coach, but that’s how it might turn out.”
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 4
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 6
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 14
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)