Nov 15, 2013, 11:24 PM EDT
When you combine injuries to Dave Bolland and Tyler Bozak with Nazem Kadri‘s suspension, it’s clear that the Toronto Maple Leafs are in trouble at center. Head coach Randy Carlyle didn’t smokescreen people when asked if that’s why James van Riemsdyk has been moved to the middle.
Carlyle to @reporterchris when asked about JvR at centre: “I don’t have anybody else, & you’re a smart enough guy, you can figure that out.”
— Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) November 16, 2013
The numbers don’t look very good so far, as TSN’s Mark Masters points out.
Last 5 games for JVR: 0 points, 11 shots, -3, 6 PIM & 40% face-off percentage
— Mark Masters (@markhmasters) November 16, 2013
Those are some rough stats, but Masters noted a tidbit that’s probably more telling: tonight marked the first time Toronto took more shots than its opponents since Oct. 5.
Sometimes it’s more comforting for people to scapegoat a single player, though.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 0
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 7
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 52
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 15
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)