Nov 15, 2013, 11:24 PM EDT
When you combine injuries to Dave Bolland and Tyler Bozak with Nazem Kadri‘s suspension, it’s clear that the Toronto Maple Leafs are in trouble at center. Head coach Randy Carlyle didn’t smokescreen people when asked if that’s why James van Riemsdyk has been moved to the middle.
Carlyle to @reporterchris when asked about JvR at centre: “I don’t have anybody else, & you’re a smart enough guy, you can figure that out.”
— Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) November 16, 2013
The numbers don’t look very good so far, as TSN’s Mark Masters points out.
Last 5 games for JVR: 0 points, 11 shots, -3, 6 PIM & 40% face-off percentage
— Mark Masters (@markhmasters) November 16, 2013
Those are some rough stats, but Masters noted a tidbit that’s probably more telling: tonight marked the first time Toronto took more shots than its opponents since Oct. 5.
Sometimes it’s more comforting for people to scapegoat a single player, though.
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 4
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 18
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 58
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 168
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 55
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (168)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)