Nov 15, 2013, 11:24 PM EDT
When you combine injuries to Dave Bolland and Tyler Bozak with Nazem Kadri‘s suspension, it’s clear that the Toronto Maple Leafs are in trouble at center. Head coach Randy Carlyle didn’t smokescreen people when asked if that’s why James van Riemsdyk has been moved to the middle.
Carlyle to @reporterchris when asked about JvR at centre: “I don’t have anybody else, & you’re a smart enough guy, you can figure that out.”
— Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) November 16, 2013
The numbers don’t look very good so far, as TSN’s Mark Masters points out.
Last 5 games for JVR: 0 points, 11 shots, -3, 6 PIM & 40% face-off percentage
— Mark Masters (@markhmasters) November 16, 2013
Those are some rough stats, but Masters noted a tidbit that’s probably more telling: tonight marked the first time Toronto took more shots than its opponents since Oct. 5.
Sometimes it’s more comforting for people to scapegoat a single player, though.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)