Nov 15, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
Despite falling behind 3-1, the Washington Capitals topped the Red Wings on Friday in a way that will likely leave Detroit fans queasy: a 4-3 shootout win.
Leaving points on the table
This gives the Red Wings one of the more frustrating five-game losing streaks one can imagine.
They’ve lost two in a row via shootouts and four consecutive games that have gone beyond regulation. It’s hard not to wonder why head coach Mike Babcock isn’t turning to Jonas Gustavsson here and there – Howard’s been in net for the entire losing streak – even if it’s unfair to blame Howard alone.
This current streak isn’t the only bad sign for the Red Wings. They’re squandering points in Hockeytown, as they’re now 0-1-6 in their last seven home games.
Two very different teams after regulation
Detroit received much-needed secondary scoring (Johan Franzen had two goals and one assist), but it wasn’t enough, as Alex Ovechkin helped Washington overcome that third period 3-1 deficit. Ovechkin notched his 15th tally of the season while Michael Latta tied it up with his first career goal.
While the Red Wings leave points on the table, the Capitals have been outstanding at getting the extra one. They’ve won all six of their seven shootouts this season and also notched an OT win against Columbus on Tuesday.
The good times might keep coming for Washington, too. They’ve won six of their last eight overall and will play seven of their next nine games at home.
Jul 12, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
He had a hearing scheduled for July 25.
Jul 12, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
He lost vision in his right eye.
Jul 12, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Peruse Saturday’s set of links.
Jul 11, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT
Two former first-round draft picks.
Jul 11, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
He didn’t play professional hockey in 2013-14.
Jul 11, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Jason Spezza’s departure likely makes him Ottawa’s No. 1 pivot.
Jul 11, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
Will their optimism be justified?
Jul 11, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
He seemed bound for Switzerland on Thursday.
Jul 11, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
They acquired him from Montreal this summer.
Jul 11, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Another interesting young forward in Tampa Bay.
Jul 11, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
“Evander’s a Winnipeg Jet and that’s how we’re moving forward.”
Jul 11, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
What could the Blackhawks’ defense look like without him?
Jul 11, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
Pressure’s on for Randy Carlyle.
Jul 11, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
“We’re not going to finish last to try and draft people first or second.”
Jul 11, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Drafted 22nd overall.
Jul 11, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
Played for Steve Yzerman during the 2010 Olympics.
Jul 11, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
“There was no room for negotiation.”
Jul 11, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Six-year extension for the 28-year-old center.
Jul 11, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Not that there was much left anyways.
Jul 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 25
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 66
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (66)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)