Nov 15, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
Despite falling behind 3-1, the Washington Capitals topped the Red Wings on Friday in a way that will likely leave Detroit fans queasy: a 4-3 shootout win.
Leaving points on the table
This gives the Red Wings one of the more frustrating five-game losing streaks one can imagine.
They’ve lost two in a row via shootouts and four consecutive games that have gone beyond regulation. It’s hard not to wonder why head coach Mike Babcock isn’t turning to Jonas Gustavsson here and there – Howard’s been in net for the entire losing streak – even if it’s unfair to blame Howard alone.
This current streak isn’t the only bad sign for the Red Wings. They’re squandering points in Hockeytown, as they’re now 0-1-6 in their last seven home games.
Two very different teams after regulation
Detroit received much-needed secondary scoring (Johan Franzen had two goals and one assist), but it wasn’t enough, as Alex Ovechkin helped Washington overcome that third period 3-1 deficit. Ovechkin notched his 15th tally of the season while Michael Latta tied it up with his first career goal.
While the Red Wings leave points on the table, the Capitals have been outstanding at getting the extra one. They’ve won all six of their seven shootouts this season and also notched an OT win against Columbus on Tuesday.
The good times might keep coming for Washington, too. They’ve won six of their last eight overall and will play seven of their next nine games at home.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:16 AM EDT
A round-up of scores from Friday’s NCAA action.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Their in Vancouver to face the Canucks on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Crawford pulled in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:28 PM EDT
Crawford was pulled late in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
That’s a blow to Calgary’s post-season hopes.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Nine points since joining Florida.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Not a great start for Chicago.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT
The club says he’s expected to make a full recovery.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
New York plays twice this weekend.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
They play in Philadelphia on Saturday.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:24 PM EDT
Hasn’t played since Feb. 24.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Terriers move one step closer to the Frozen Four.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
“In the middle of the ice in our system, it’s a lot of work.”
Mar 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
And, quite possibly, for the remainder of the season.
Mar 27, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
Nail-biting time for Bruins fans.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Joins Pavel Datsyuk and Erik Cole on the shelf.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Mar 27, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 27, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
26-15-5 in their last 46 games.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)