Nov 15, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov will play his first professional hockey game since April 25 when he tends goal tonight for the Oklahoma City Barons versus Abbotsford.
The Barons are the Edmonton Oilers’ AHL affiliate. Bryzgalov, of course, signed with the Oilers last week.
Now, granted, even if the 33-year-old can regain the form he displayed a few seasons ago with the Phoenix Coyotes, it’s unlikely he’ll be able to rescue his latest NHL team. The Oilers are all but out of the playoff race in the Western Conference. These days, goaltending is the least of their problems.
But for Bryzgalov, it offers a “good opportunity” to salvage a career that came completely off the rails after signing a big contract with the Philadelphia Flyers in the summer of 2011.
By the way, tonight is Barons Night with $2 beer and $1 hot dogs from 6-8 p.m. If you happen to be in Oklahoma City, you should totally go.
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 31
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 66
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 25
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51