Nov 15, 2013, 1:22 PM EST
Ilya Bryzgalov will play his first professional hockey game since April 25 when he tends goal tonight for the Oklahoma City Barons versus Abbotsford.
The Barons are the Edmonton Oilers’ AHL affiliate. Bryzgalov, of course, signed with the Oilers last week.
Now, granted, even if the 33-year-old can regain the form he displayed a few seasons ago with the Phoenix Coyotes, it’s unlikely he’ll be able to rescue his latest NHL team. The Oilers are all but out of the playoff race in the Western Conference. These days, goaltending is the least of their problems.
But for Bryzgalov, it offers a “good opportunity” to salvage a career that came completely off the rails after signing a big contract with the Philadelphia Flyers in the summer of 2011.
By the way, tonight is Barons Night with $2 beer and $1 hot dogs from 6-8 p.m. If you happen to be in Oklahoma City, you should totally go.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)