Nov 15, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov will play his first professional hockey game since April 25 when he tends goal tonight for the Oklahoma City Barons versus Abbotsford.
The Barons are the Edmonton Oilers’ AHL affiliate. Bryzgalov, of course, signed with the Oilers last week.
Now, granted, even if the 33-year-old can regain the form he displayed a few seasons ago with the Phoenix Coyotes, it’s unlikely he’ll be able to rescue his latest NHL team. The Oilers are all but out of the playoff race in the Western Conference. These days, goaltending is the least of their problems.
But for Bryzgalov, it offers a “good opportunity” to salvage a career that came completely off the rails after signing a big contract with the Philadelphia Flyers in the summer of 2011.
By the way, tonight is Barons Night with $2 beer and $1 hot dogs from 6-8 p.m. If you happen to be in Oklahoma City, you should totally go.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)