Nov 15, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov will play his first professional hockey game since April 25 when he tends goal tonight for the Oklahoma City Barons versus Abbotsford.
The Barons are the Edmonton Oilers’ AHL affiliate. Bryzgalov, of course, signed with the Oilers last week.
Now, granted, even if the 33-year-old can regain the form he displayed a few seasons ago with the Phoenix Coyotes, it’s unlikely he’ll be able to rescue his latest NHL team. The Oilers are all but out of the playoff race in the Western Conference. These days, goaltending is the least of their problems.
But for Bryzgalov, it offers a “good opportunity” to salvage a career that came completely off the rails after signing a big contract with the Philadelphia Flyers in the summer of 2011.
By the way, tonight is Barons Night with $2 beer and $1 hot dogs from 6-8 p.m. If you happen to be in Oklahoma City, you should totally go.
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)