Nov 15, 2013, 1:22 PM EST
Ilya Bryzgalov will play his first professional hockey game since April 25 when he tends goal tonight for the Oklahoma City Barons versus Abbotsford.
The Barons are the Edmonton Oilers’ AHL affiliate. Bryzgalov, of course, signed with the Oilers last week.
Now, granted, even if the 33-year-old can regain the form he displayed a few seasons ago with the Phoenix Coyotes, it’s unlikely he’ll be able to rescue his latest NHL team. The Oilers are all but out of the playoff race in the Western Conference. These days, goaltending is the least of their problems.
But for Bryzgalov, it offers a “good opportunity” to salvage a career that came completely off the rails after signing a big contract with the Philadelphia Flyers in the summer of 2011.
By the way, tonight is Barons Night with $2 beer and $1 hot dogs from 6-8 p.m. If you happen to be in Oklahoma City, you should totally go.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)