Nov 15, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Much was made of the complex relationship between Bruce Boudreau and Alex Semin during their time together in Washington.
Now, with the two set to meet tonight — Boudreau’s Ducks take on Semin’s Canes in Carolina — the veteran bench boss tried to explain Semin in classic Boudreauian terms.
“There’s a saying about Alex,” Boudreau said, as per the Raleigh News & Observer. “He’s an enigma wrapped in something, wrapped in something else.”
Boudreau, as straight a shooter as there is, has always been blunt when in describing Semin, the guy that was both a 40-goal scorer and healthy scratch in Washington. Semin’s play can be erratic and Boudreau has no problem saying it, which led to acrimony and perception the two never got along.
Not exactly accurate, according to Boudreau. (Boudreau actually sold the ‘Canes on signing Semin.)
“[Semin] can show flashes of absolute brilliance one minute,” he explained. “Then you’re going, ‘What are you doing?’ the next.
“But a tremendously skilled player. He can beat you on his own when he’s on.”
Unfortunately for Carolina, Semin hasn’t been on much this season. He has just three goals through 18 games and is on pace for 14, which would be his lowest full-season total since his rookie campaign (Semin scored 13 in last year’s lockout-shortened campaign).
What’s more, his playmaking ability seems to have fallen off as well. He has just five assists this season, a far cry from the 31 he had a year ago. That total placed him second on the team, trailing only captain Eric Staal (who had 35).
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5