Nov 15, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Much was made of the complex relationship between Bruce Boudreau and Alex Semin during their time together in Washington.
Now, with the two set to meet tonight — Boudreau’s Ducks take on Semin’s Canes in Carolina — the veteran bench boss tried to explain Semin in classic Boudreauian terms.
“There’s a saying about Alex,” Boudreau said, as per the Raleigh News & Observer. “He’s an enigma wrapped in something, wrapped in something else.”
Boudreau, as straight a shooter as there is, has always been blunt when in describing Semin, the guy that was both a 40-goal scorer and healthy scratch in Washington. Semin’s play can be erratic and Boudreau has no problem saying it, which led to acrimony and perception the two never got along.
Not exactly accurate, according to Boudreau. (Boudreau actually sold the ‘Canes on signing Semin.)
“[Semin] can show flashes of absolute brilliance one minute,” he explained. “Then you’re going, ‘What are you doing?’ the next.
“But a tremendously skilled player. He can beat you on his own when he’s on.”
Unfortunately for Carolina, Semin hasn’t been on much this season. He has just three goals through 18 games and is on pace for 14, which would be his lowest full-season total since his rookie campaign (Semin scored 13 in last year’s lockout-shortened campaign).
What’s more, his playmaking ability seems to have fallen off as well. He has just five assists this season, a far cry from the 31 he had a year ago. That total placed him second on the team, trailing only captain Eric Staal (who had 35).
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)