Nov 15, 2013, 12:42 AM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche were in a sour mood following Thursday’s 7-3 blowout loss to St. Louis — but the hard feelings weren’t just about the scoreline.
The post-fight celebration irked a number of Colorado players, as did Stewart’s choice in dance partners. Colorado had a pair of tough guys in the lineup on Thursday — Cody McLeod and Patrick Bordeleau, who’ve combined for seven of the team’s 13 fights this season — though Sarich is no stranger to the scrap game, having already dropped the gloves twice this season.
Regardless, the Avs were choked.
“There is no brains,” defenseman Jan Hejaa said about Stewart, as per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “It’s just a guy who fights his whole life.”
“It’s a little gutless by him,” added goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere. “But it’s an emotional game and these things will happen.”
(Making this all the more interesting is that Stewart was drafted by Colorado, spent his first two-and-a-half seasons with the Avs and was teammates with a number of current players.)
UPDATE: For a little more context on the scrap and aftermath, here’s Adrian Dater of the Denver Post…
The game got very rough in the second, starting with a big Patrick Bordeleau hit on Blues defender Ian Cole in a 4-1 game. A few seconds later, Stewart dropped the gloves with 35-year-old Avs defenseman Cory Sarich. Stewart won the fight, and then raised his arms to the crowd like a WWE wrestler.
Later, Bordeleau was given a 10-minute misconduct penalty simply for lining up next to Stewart for what would have been a probable fight.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 54
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (54)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)