Nov 15, 2013, 12:42 AM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche were in a sour mood following Thursday’s 7-3 blowout loss to St. Louis — but the hard feelings weren’t just about the scoreline.
The post-fight celebration irked a number of Colorado players, as did Stewart’s choice in dance partners. Colorado had a pair of tough guys in the lineup on Thursday — Cody McLeod and Patrick Bordeleau, who’ve combined for seven of the team’s 13 fights this season — though Sarich is no stranger to the scrap game, having already dropped the gloves twice this season.
Regardless, the Avs were choked.
“There is no brains,” defenseman Jan Hejaa said about Stewart, as per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “It’s just a guy who fights his whole life.”
“It’s a little gutless by him,” added goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere. “But it’s an emotional game and these things will happen.”
(Making this all the more interesting is that Stewart was drafted by Colorado, spent his first two-and-a-half seasons with the Avs and was teammates with a number of current players.)
UPDATE: For a little more context on the scrap and aftermath, here’s Adrian Dater of the Denver Post…
The game got very rough in the second, starting with a big Patrick Bordeleau hit on Blues defender Ian Cole in a 4-1 game. A few seconds later, Stewart dropped the gloves with 35-year-old Avs defenseman Cory Sarich. Stewart won the fight, and then raised his arms to the crowd like a WWE wrestler.
Later, Bordeleau was given a 10-minute misconduct penalty simply for lining up next to Stewart for what would have been a probable fight.
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered Sobotka 0
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 16
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 58
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 168
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 55
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (168)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)