Nov 14, 2013, 6:41 PM EST
The Washington Capitals recalled defenseman Tyson Strachan from AHL Hershey on Thursday afternoon, and the main reason why is because there are questions as to whether or not Mike Green is healthy enough to play.
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley hears from Caps coach Adam Oates about Green’s nagging lower-body issue. Oates says it’s a bruise although it was thought it was a groin injury.
“He’ll get a couple more treatments and we’ll see how he is in the morning,” Oates said.
If Green can’t go, Strachan looks to be the temporary solution. While Green is a puck-moving and scoring defenseman, Strachan is a big, physical defender that will throw a few punches.
On the upside for the Capitals, it sounds like Green’s problem isn’t a major one.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 37
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 75
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (75)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)