Nov 14, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
On Wednesday, the Buffalo Sabres breathed optimism into a sad-sack season by naming Ted Nolan their new head coach and franchise legend Pat LaFontaine as president of hockey operations.
So… now what?
On Thursday, Brough and I tried to answer that. In speaking with NBC’s Kay Adams, we discussed the challenges ahead for both Nolan and LaFontaine, which include:
— Raising Buffalo’s competitiveness (or, for you sports jargon enthusiasts, compete level).
— Finding a GM to replace Darcy Regier.
— Prepare for the ’14 Draft.
— Figure out how to improve player development for prospects currently in the system.
All that and more, in the latest edition of PHT Extra…
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)