Nov 14, 2013, 11:43 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are bringing back a familiar face after doing business with a familiar partner.
The Blackhawks acquired forward Kris Versteeg and prospect forward Philippe Lefebvre from the Florida Panthers in exchange for forward Jimmy Hayes and defenseman Dylan Olsen. Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times reports the Panthers will keep half of Versteeg’s salary as part of the deal.
Versteeg was a member of the Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup-winning team in 2010, but was traded after the season to Toronto in a package deal to get Viktor Stalberg. Since then, he’s gone from the Maple Leafs to the Philadelphia Flyers to the Panthers where he’s played the past two seasons.
In his time with Florida, Versteeg has scored 25 goals (99 games). He scored 20 in his final season with the ‘Hawks.
The connection on this deal is a familiar one as ‘Hawks GM Stan Bowman and Panthers GM Dale Tallon know each other all too well. Tallon, of course, is the former Blackhawks GM who was fired in favor of Bowman.
The two players the Panthers acquired have played in the AHL for most of the season. Hayes appeared in two games with Chicago this season before spending the rest of his time in Rockford. Lefebvre, meanwhile, is currently in the ECHL.
Think the Blackhawks were prepared for this deal? They’ve already tweeted out his new-old uniform.
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 15
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 27
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 34
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)