Nov 14, 2013, 11:43 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are bringing back a familiar face after doing business with a familiar partner.
The Blackhawks acquired forward Kris Versteeg and prospect forward Philippe Lefebvre from the Florida Panthers in exchange for forward Jimmy Hayes and defenseman Dylan Olsen. Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times reports the Panthers will keep half of Versteeg’s salary as part of the deal.
Versteeg was a member of the Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup-winning team in 2010, but was traded after the season to Toronto in a package deal to get Viktor Stalberg. Since then, he’s gone from the Maple Leafs to the Philadelphia Flyers to the Panthers where he’s played the past two seasons.
In his time with Florida, Versteeg has scored 25 goals (99 games). He scored 20 in his final season with the ‘Hawks.
The connection on this deal is a familiar one as ‘Hawks GM Stan Bowman and Panthers GM Dale Tallon know each other all too well. Tallon, of course, is the former Blackhawks GM who was fired in favor of Bowman.
The two players the Panthers acquired have played in the AHL for most of the season. Hayes appeared in two games with Chicago this season before spending the rest of his time in Rockford. Lefebvre, meanwhile, is currently in the ECHL.
Think the Blackhawks were prepared for this deal? They’ve already tweeted out his new-old uniform.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)