Nov 14, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning will be minus a couple of key players tonight when they host Anaheim. One of those players, of course, is Steven Stamkos. But another is defenseman Sami Salo, who will miss his second straight contest after suffering a lower-body injury in the same game that Stamkos broke his right tibia.
The good news is that Salo could be back soon. Per team reporter Missy Zielinski, the 39-year-old will travel with the Lightning on their upcoming (and very tough) four-game road trip, which starts Saturday in Phoenix.
Salo has one goal and four assists in 16 games. He also logs an average of 20:06 in playing time, the fifth most on the club. Based on relative Corsi, the Lightning are a better possession team with him on the ice than not.
Which is to say, Salo’s absence shouldn’t be overlooked, even if the major focus has rightly been on Stamkos.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 0
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 7
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 52
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 15
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)