Nov 14, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning will be minus a couple of key players tonight when they host Anaheim. One of those players, of course, is Steven Stamkos. But another is defenseman Sami Salo, who will miss his second straight contest after suffering a lower-body injury in the same game that Stamkos broke his right tibia.
The good news is that Salo could be back soon. Per team reporter Missy Zielinski, the 39-year-old will travel with the Lightning on their upcoming (and very tough) four-game road trip, which starts Saturday in Phoenix.
Salo has one goal and four assists in 16 games. He also logs an average of 20:06 in playing time, the fifth most on the club. Based on relative Corsi, the Lightning are a better possession team with him on the ice than not.
Which is to say, Salo’s absence shouldn’t be overlooked, even if the major focus has rightly been on Stamkos.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6