Nov 14, 2013, 12:07 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning will be minus a couple of key players tonight when they host Anaheim. One of those players, of course, is Steven Stamkos. But another is defenseman Sami Salo, who will miss his second straight contest after suffering a lower-body injury in the same game that Stamkos broke his right tibia.
The good news is that Salo could be back soon. Per team reporter Missy Zielinski, the 39-year-old will travel with the Lightning on their upcoming (and very tough) four-game road trip, which starts Saturday in Phoenix.
Salo has one goal and four assists in 16 games. He also logs an average of 20:06 in playing time, the fifth most on the club. Based on relative Corsi, the Lightning are a better possession team with him on the ice than not.
Which is to say, Salo’s absence shouldn’t be overlooked, even if the major focus has rightly been on Stamkos.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)