Nov 14, 2013, 9:56 AM EST
Even after being fired by the Buffalo Sabres in February, Lindy Ruff couldn’t help but keep tabs on the squad. Now the bench boss in Dallas, the man who coached 1,165 regular season contests with Buffalo has watched the occasional Sabres’ game this season.
He noted the crowd’s reaction and wasn’t surprised when Darcy Regier, Ruff’s longtime friend and the man who fired him, was shown the door yesterday along with coach Ron Rolston.
Through everything that’s happened this year, Ruff has remained supportive of Regier. He’s quick to defend the former general manager, even when it comes to Regier’s decision to replace him.
“It wasn’t easy for Darcy, but ultimately, it was the right move. I’ve said that. I wasn’t getting the job done. We had some games sitting there that I felt we should have won and we didn’t. For that I paid the price,” Ruff told the Edmonton Journal.
He also credited Regier with sticking with him through plenty of tough times during his nearly 16-year tenure as the team’s head coach.
With Regier now gone too, an era is done in Buffalo. There were certainly some highlights during the time of Regier and Ruff, but it’s hard to look at what the Sabres have gone through over the last several years as anything but a rough patch. Perhaps there are better days ahead for Buffalo.
It would certainly be hard to envision things getting worse than they have been so far this season.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)