Nov 14, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
Jason Botterill, assistant to Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero, has been granted permission to interview for Buffalo’s vacant general manager gig, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
Botterill, 37, is a former first-round pick (20th overall, 1994) that transitioned from an eight-year professional career to the front office in swift time, earning a masters of business admin degree from the University of Michigan and working at the NHL’s Central Registry before joining the Pens in 2007.
Praised for his cap management skills with Pittsburgh — the Pens have been able to retain almost all their high-priced stars — Botterill has ties to the Buffalo organization, having played for the organization from 2002-05. Botterill also has ties to Sabres senior adviser Ken Sawyer and president Ted Black, as Sawyer and Black both used to work in Pittsburgh.
Pat LaFontaine, named as Buffalo’s new president of hockey operations on Wednesday, said he already has a shortlist of candidates for the vacant GM gig.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)