Nov 14, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
One of this season’s most tantalizing matchups is going to the big stage.
The 2014 NHL Stadium Series matchup between the Chicago Blackhawks and Pittsburgh Penguins — to be played at Soldier Field on Saturday, Mar. 1 — will air on NBC at 8 p.m. ET, the NBC Sports Group announced on Thursday.
This marks the first time since NBC re-acquired NHL rights in 2006 that a regular-season game has been scheduled for primetime on NBC. The 2011 NHL Winter Classic aired in primetime because weather prevented the game from being played at its regularly-scheduled time in the afternoon.
Penguins-Blackhawks will be the fourth and final game in the 2014 NHL Stadium Series, and the second time Chicago has hosted a regular-season outdoor NHL game (2009 NHL Winter Classic at Wrigley Field). The Penguins will be participating in their third regular-season outdoor NHL game since 2008 (2008 NHL Winter Classic and 2011 NHL Winter Classic).
The ‘Hawks-Pens game was originally slated to be aired on NBCSN, which will still air the Ducks-Kings game at Dodger Stadium (Jan. 25) and the Rangers-Islanders game from Yankee Stadium (Jan. 29).
The Rangers-Devils Stadium Series contest will be on NBC (Jan. 26), as will the 2014 Winter Classic from the Big House in Michigan, featuring the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs (Jan. 1).
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)