Nov 14, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
One of this season’s most tantalizing matchups is going to the big stage.
The 2014 NHL Stadium Series matchup between the Chicago Blackhawks and Pittsburgh Penguins — to be played at Soldier Field on Saturday, Mar. 1 — will air on NBC at 8 p.m. ET, the NBC Sports Group announced on Thursday.
This marks the first time since NBC re-acquired NHL rights in 2006 that a regular-season game has been scheduled for primetime on NBC. The 2011 NHL Winter Classic aired in primetime because weather prevented the game from being played at its regularly-scheduled time in the afternoon.
Penguins-Blackhawks will be the fourth and final game in the 2014 NHL Stadium Series, and the second time Chicago has hosted a regular-season outdoor NHL game (2009 NHL Winter Classic at Wrigley Field). The Penguins will be participating in their third regular-season outdoor NHL game since 2008 (2008 NHL Winter Classic and 2011 NHL Winter Classic).
The ‘Hawks-Pens game was originally slated to be aired on NBCSN, which will still air the Ducks-Kings game at Dodger Stadium (Jan. 25) and the Rangers-Islanders game from Yankee Stadium (Jan. 29).
The Rangers-Devils Stadium Series contest will be on NBC (Jan. 26), as will the 2014 Winter Classic from the Big House in Michigan, featuring the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs (Jan. 1).
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 11
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)