Nov 14, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
One of this season’s most tantalizing matchups is going to the big stage.
The 2014 NHL Stadium Series matchup between the Chicago Blackhawks and Pittsburgh Penguins — to be played at Soldier Field on Saturday, Mar. 1 — will air on NBC at 8 p.m. ET, the NBC Sports Group announced on Thursday.
This marks the first time since NBC re-acquired NHL rights in 2006 that a regular-season game has been scheduled for primetime on NBC. The 2011 NHL Winter Classic aired in primetime because weather prevented the game from being played at its regularly-scheduled time in the afternoon.
Penguins-Blackhawks will be the fourth and final game in the 2014 NHL Stadium Series, and the second time Chicago has hosted a regular-season outdoor NHL game (2009 NHL Winter Classic at Wrigley Field). The Penguins will be participating in their third regular-season outdoor NHL game since 2008 (2008 NHL Winter Classic and 2011 NHL Winter Classic).
The ‘Hawks-Pens game was originally slated to be aired on NBCSN, which will still air the Ducks-Kings game at Dodger Stadium (Jan. 25) and the Rangers-Islanders game from Yankee Stadium (Jan. 29).
The Rangers-Devils Stadium Series contest will be on NBC (Jan. 26), as will the 2014 Winter Classic from the Big House in Michigan, featuring the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs (Jan. 1).
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2