Nov 14, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
The results of Jonathan Quick‘s MRI are in.
The Kings’ star goalie has suffered a Grade 2 groin strain, according to LA Kings Insider. The recovery plan is for Quick to begin rehabbing immediately, but there is no timetable for a possible return to action.
According to the Sports Injury Clinic, a Grade 2 strain is a “moderate” tear that can vary in severity — anywhere from 10 to 90 percent — which explains the difficulty in trying to pinpoint rehab time.
If there’s a positive here, it’s that Quick doesn’t have a history of groin issues, like many other NHL goalies. The 27-year-old has actually been remarkably healthy throughout his NHL career, appearing in 72 games during the 2009-10 season and 69 during the Cup-winning ’11-12 campaign.
Quick did undergo back surgery last year, but didn’t miss any significant action as the lockout provided him with additional recuperation time.
As for the immediate future, the Kings will roll with Ben Scrivens as their starting netminder. Scrivens will get his third start of the year tonight on Long Island, and could be in for a heavy workload as L.A. plays in New Jersey on Friday, New York (Rangers) on Sunday, then returns home for a three-games-in-five-nights stretch against Tampa Bay, New Jersey and Colorado.
Update: According to the LA Times, no surgery will be required. As for a recovery timetable, the Times reports that “the best early estimate, with an emphasis on the word estimate, would be in the neighborhood of four to six weeks.”
Sep 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
He won’t play in either of Ottawa’s Monday exhibitions games.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Seasoning in the AHL should serve the 20-year-old well.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Agent confirms talking to several KHL teams.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Players nursing bumps and bruises as camps wrap.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
With Giroux out, Craig Berube juggles lines.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Not at Oilers camp for the first time in his career.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Columbus looking at options with Johansen not at camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 2
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)