Nov 14, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
Not sure how many of you stayed up to watch last night’s Stars-Oilers game in Edmonton. Those that did saw a first-star performance from Dallas goalie Kari Lehtonen, who really has to be the most underrated netminder in the NHL.
Lehtonen’s 22-save shutout in the Stars’ 3-0 victory bumped his save percentage up to .932. While he’s far from the only regular starter off to an excellent start to the season…
…it doesn’t seem like he gets the attention he deserves.
Maybe that’s because of the market he plays in. Or maybe it’s because he’s signed through 2017-18 so there’s no contract speculating to do. Or maybe it’s because the 29-year-old has been doing what he’s doing for so long that it’s not really a story anymore.
In 393 NHL games, Lehtonen has a save percentage of .915. Among active goalies with at least 10,000 career saves, only Tim Thomas (.921), Henrik Lundqvist (.920), Roberto Luongo (.919) and Tomas Vokoun (.917) have stopped a higher percentage of shots.
That’s pretty good company. Maybe we should talk about the guy a bit more.
Only four goalies have a .914+ save percentage in each of last four years: Lundqvist, Rask, Miller and Lehtonen. Consistency.—
James Mirtle (@mirtle) November 14, 2013
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)