Nov 14, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
All the news and notes from around the crease…
Isles go back to Poulin
The Islanders will start Kevin Poulin for the third consecutive game on Thursday against the Kings.
Poulin, who looks to be making a serious run at Evgeni Nabokov‘s starting gig, stopped 32 of 33 shots in a 3-1 win over Nashville on Tuesday and now has a 1.76 GAA and .939 save percentage in his last four starts.
Poulin’s counterpart tonight will be another backup thrust into the starting gig — Ben Scrivens.
Scrivens will be L.A.’s starter until further notice after Jonathan Quick was diagnosed with a Grade 2 groin strain. Scrivens hasn’t played much this year — just two starts — but in his last game, a 3-1 loss to the Coyotes, he stopped 30 of 33 shots faced.
Johnson returns for B’s
Little-used backup Chad Johnson will be in goal for the Bruins tonight when they host Columbus at TD Garden.
Johnson, mostly a spectator to Tuukka Rask this year, has two starts on the season and has gone 1-1-0 with a 2.53 GAA and .900 save percentage. In his last outing, a 3-1 loss to the Islanders, Johnson made 31 saves.
Columbus will counter with Sergei Bobrovsky, who has lost four of his last five starts.
– Jonas Hiller will be back in goal for Anaheim tonight, spelling the red-hot Frederik Andersen, as the Ducks take on Tampa Bay. The Lightning will counter with Ben Bishop, who was outstanding in Tuesday’s 2-1 shootout win over Montreal, stopping 28 of 29 shots.
– In St. Louis, Jean-Sebastien Giguere will take on Jaroslav Halak as the Blues host the Avalanche. Giguere is 5-0-0 this season with a 1.00 GAA and .970 save percentage, while Halak is 9-2-2 with a 2.25 GAA and .909 save percentage.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 22
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 51
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39