Nov 14, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
All the news and notes from around the crease…
Isles go back to Poulin
The Islanders will start Kevin Poulin for the third consecutive game on Thursday against the Kings.
Poulin, who looks to be making a serious run at Evgeni Nabokov‘s starting gig, stopped 32 of 33 shots in a 3-1 win over Nashville on Tuesday and now has a 1.76 GAA and .939 save percentage in his last four starts.
Poulin’s counterpart tonight will be another backup thrust into the starting gig — Ben Scrivens.
Scrivens will be L.A.’s starter until further notice after Jonathan Quick was diagnosed with a Grade 2 groin strain. Scrivens hasn’t played much this year — just two starts — but in his last game, a 3-1 loss to the Coyotes, he stopped 30 of 33 shots faced.
Johnson returns for B’s
Little-used backup Chad Johnson will be in goal for the Bruins tonight when they host Columbus at TD Garden.
Johnson, mostly a spectator to Tuukka Rask this year, has two starts on the season and has gone 1-1-0 with a 2.53 GAA and .900 save percentage. In his last outing, a 3-1 loss to the Islanders, Johnson made 31 saves.
Columbus will counter with Sergei Bobrovsky, who has lost four of his last five starts.
— Jonas Hiller will be back in goal for Anaheim tonight, spelling the red-hot Frederik Andersen, as the Ducks take on Tampa Bay. The Lightning will counter with Ben Bishop, who was outstanding in Tuesday’s 2-1 shootout win over Montreal, stopping 28 of 29 shots.
— In St. Louis, Jean-Sebastien Giguere will take on Jaroslav Halak as the Blues host the Avalanche. Giguere is 5-0-0 this season with a 1.00 GAA and .970 save percentage, while Halak is 9-2-2 with a 2.25 GAA and .909 save percentage.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)