Nov 14, 2013, 12:38 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have won three consecutive games. Yes. That’s correct. It’s happened.
Their latest triumph came Wednesday, when they defeated the Pittsburgh Penguins 2-1 for Rivalry Night on NHL on NBCSC.
Could it be that the Flyers, who, as an organization, fired head coach Peter Laviolette just three games into the season, are turning a corner?
That stretch of one win in their first eight games isn’t that long ago. But they’ve put together three very good performances in a row, holding their opponents to a combined three goals over that span.
They’ve won six of their last 10 games, and are now only three points back of the New York Rangers for third in the Metropolitan Division.
“I think the last couple weeks, the boys scored more goals, had a great night in Ottawa [Tuesday],” Flyers goalie Ray Emery said, as per CSN Philadelphia, “and a tough back-to-back against one of our rivals and a really good team in Pittsburgh. Getting a good road win, they’re all steps in the right direction.”
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)