Nov 14, 2013, 12:38 AM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers have won three consecutive games. Yes. That’s correct. It’s happened.
Their latest triumph came Wednesday, when they defeated the Pittsburgh Penguins 2-1 for Rivalry Night on NHL on NBCSC.
Could it be that the Flyers, who, as an organization, fired head coach Peter Laviolette just three games into the season, are turning a corner?
That stretch of one win in their first eight games isn’t that long ago. But they’ve put together three very good performances in a row, holding their opponents to a combined three goals over that span.
They’ve won six of their last 10 games, and are now only three points back of the New York Rangers for third in the Metropolitan Division.
“I think the last couple weeks, the boys scored more goals, had a great night in Ottawa [Tuesday],” Flyers goalie Ray Emery said, as per CSN Philadelphia, “and a tough back-to-back against one of our rivals and a really good team in Pittsburgh. Getting a good road win, they’re all steps in the right direction.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 0
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)