Nov 14, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT
In a somewhat surprising move, the Red Wings waived veteran forward Patrick Eaves onThursday.
Eaves, 29, only recently returned to the Detroit lineup after missing most of the season on LTIR with ankle and knee issues.
His last game came on Nov. 9 — a 3-2 loss to Tampa Bay — in which he played a season-high 11:43 while recording two shots on goal.
Eaves, who has been with the Detroit organization since 2009, is in the final year of a three-year, $3.6 million deal. The Wings have been cap-strapped throughout the year and has a glut of forwards under contract, and already placed Jordin Tootoo on waivers last week.
According to reporters in Detroit, news of being waived caught Eaves off guard, though he did say it was the “nature of the business.”
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 3
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 18
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)