Nov 14, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes are 9-2-0 in their last 11 games. They’re scoring lots of goals and beating good teams like San Jose, Vancouver and St. Louis.
They’re also not satisfied.
Take Tuesday’s 3-2 overtime defeat of the Blues. A good win, obviously. But when you look at the shots — 39-19 for St. Louis — there’s clearly room for improvement.
“We didn’t get enough players playing at the speed of the game that needed to play,” coach Dave Tippett said, per azcentral.com. “That’s just executing plays under pressure. That’s winning a battle to create an opportunity.”
Despite all the W’s, the Coyotes have been outshot in eight of their last nine games. (Hey, if the Toronto Maple Leafs are going to get called out for winning that way, it’s only fair Phoenix does, too.)
Phoenix is in Chicago tonight to play the defending Stanley Cup champs.
“If we want to be in the upper-class of teams in this league, we’re going to have to improve on some things,” goalie Mike Smith said.
But the wins are nice.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)