Nov 14, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes are 9-2-0 in their last 11 games. They’re scoring lots of goals and beating good teams like San Jose, Vancouver and St. Louis.
They’re also not satisfied.
Take Tuesday’s 3-2 overtime defeat of the Blues. A good win, obviously. But when you look at the shots — 39-19 for St. Louis — there’s clearly room for improvement.
“We didn’t get enough players playing at the speed of the game that needed to play,” coach Dave Tippett said, per azcentral.com. “That’s just executing plays under pressure. That’s winning a battle to create an opportunity.”
Despite all the W’s, the Coyotes have been outshot in eight of their last nine games. (Hey, if the Toronto Maple Leafs are going to get called out for winning that way, it’s only fair Phoenix does, too.)
Phoenix is in Chicago tonight to play the defending Stanley Cup champs.
“If we want to be in the upper-class of teams in this league, we’re going to have to improve on some things,” goalie Mike Smith said.
But the wins are nice.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (96)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)