Nov 14, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes are 9-2-0 in their last 11 games. They’re scoring lots of goals and beating good teams like San Jose, Vancouver and St. Louis.
They’re also not satisfied.
Take Tuesday’s 3-2 overtime defeat of the Blues. A good win, obviously. But when you look at the shots — 39-19 for St. Louis — there’s clearly room for improvement.
“We didn’t get enough players playing at the speed of the game that needed to play,” coach Dave Tippett said, per azcentral.com. “That’s just executing plays under pressure. That’s winning a battle to create an opportunity.”
Despite all the W’s, the Coyotes have been outshot in eight of their last nine games. (Hey, if the Toronto Maple Leafs are going to get called out for winning that way, it’s only fair Phoenix does, too.)
Phoenix is in Chicago tonight to play the defending Stanley Cup champs.
“If we want to be in the upper-class of teams in this league, we’re going to have to improve on some things,” goalie Mike Smith said.
But the wins are nice.
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 6
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)