Nov 13, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
There’s been no official word on the severity of Jonathan Quick‘s lower-body injury, but the Kings aren’t taking any chances.
On Wednesday, the club recalled Martin Jones from AHL Manchester and will fly Jones immediately to New York, where he’ll join the Kings for Thursday’s game against the Islanders.
Jones, 23, has played very well for the Monarchs this season, posting a 9-2-2- record with a 2.24 GAA and .927 save percentage. A former standout with WHL Calgary, Jones represented Canada at the 2010 World Juniors in Saskatchewan, splitting time with current Blues prospect Jake Allen.
Quick was believed to be headed back to Los Angeles for medical evaluation, rather than have him checked out on the road. The Kings have three games left on their current Eastern swing — Thursday against the Islanders, Friday against the Devils and Sunday against the Rangers — before returning to L.A. for a date against the Lightning on Tuesday, Nov. 19.
Update 2:25 p.m. ET
Kings head coach Darryl Sutter said Quick’s injury is “either hamstring or groin-related,” as per LA Kings Insider. What’s more, Sutter confirmed the club would be sending Quick back to Los Angeles, meaning it’s unlikely he’ll play any of the remaining games on this trip.
Update 4;35 p.m. ET
Quick has addressed his injury situation via Twitter:
Thank you to everyone’s get well wishes, I will do everything I can to get back to 100% and back on the ice as soon as possible
— Jonathan Quick (@JonathanQuick32) November 13, 2013
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 2
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 16
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 4
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)