Nov 13, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
There’s been no official word on the severity of Jonathan Quick‘s lower-body injury, but the Kings aren’t taking any chances.
On Wednesday, the club recalled Martin Jones from AHL Manchester and will fly Jones immediately to New York, where he’ll join the Kings for Thursday’s game against the Islanders.
Jones, 23, has played very well for the Monarchs this season, posting a 9-2-2- record with a 2.24 GAA and .927 save percentage. A former standout with WHL Calgary, Jones represented Canada at the 2010 World Juniors in Saskatchewan, splitting time with current Blues prospect Jake Allen.
Quick was believed to be headed back to Los Angeles for medical evaluation, rather than have him checked out on the road. The Kings have three games left on their current Eastern swing — Thursday against the Islanders, Friday against the Devils and Sunday against the Rangers — before returning to L.A. for a date against the Lightning on Tuesday, Nov. 19.
Update 2:25 p.m. ET
Kings head coach Darryl Sutter said Quick’s injury is “either hamstring or groin-related,” as per LA Kings Insider. What’s more, Sutter confirmed the club would be sending Quick back to Los Angeles, meaning it’s unlikely he’ll play any of the remaining games on this trip.
Update 4;35 p.m. ET
Quick has addressed his injury situation via Twitter:
Thank you to everyone’s get well wishes, I will do everything I can to get back to 100% and back on the ice as soon as possible
— Jonathan Quick (@JonathanQuick32) November 13, 2013
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)