Nov 13, 2013, 2:21 PM EST
There’s been no official word on the severity of Jonathan Quick‘s lower-body injury, but the Kings aren’t taking any chances.
On Wednesday, the club recalled Martin Jones from AHL Manchester and will fly Jones immediately to New York, where he’ll join the Kings for Thursday’s game against the Islanders.
Jones, 23, has played very well for the Monarchs this season, posting a 9-2-2- record with a 2.24 GAA and .927 save percentage. A former standout with WHL Calgary, Jones represented Canada at the 2010 World Juniors in Saskatchewan, splitting time with current Blues prospect Jake Allen.
Quick was believed to be headed back to Los Angeles for medical evaluation, rather than have him checked out on the road. The Kings have three games left on their current Eastern swing — Thursday against the Islanders, Friday against the Devils and Sunday against the Rangers — before returning to L.A. for a date against the Lightning on Tuesday, Nov. 19.
Update 2:25 p.m. ET
Kings head coach Darryl Sutter said Quick’s injury is “either hamstring or groin-related,” as per LA Kings Insider. What’s more, Sutter confirmed the club would be sending Quick back to Los Angeles, meaning it’s unlikely he’ll play any of the remaining games on this trip.
Update 4;35 p.m. ET
Quick has addressed his injury situation via Twitter:
Thank you to everyone’s get well wishes, I will do everything I can to get back to 100% and back on the ice as soon as possible
— Jonathan Quick (@JonathanQuick32) November 13, 2013
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)