Nov 13, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
There’s been no official word on the severity of Jonathan Quick‘s lower-body injury, but the Kings aren’t taking any chances.
On Wednesday, the club recalled Martin Jones from AHL Manchester and will fly Jones immediately to New York, where he’ll join the Kings for Thursday’s game against the Islanders.
Jones, 23, has played very well for the Monarchs this season, posting a 9-2-2- record with a 2.24 GAA and .927 save percentage. A former standout with WHL Calgary, Jones represented Canada at the 2010 World Juniors in Saskatchewan, splitting time with current Blues prospect Jake Allen.
Quick was believed to be headed back to Los Angeles for medical evaluation, rather than have him checked out on the road. The Kings have three games left on their current Eastern swing — Thursday against the Islanders, Friday against the Devils and Sunday against the Rangers — before returning to L.A. for a date against the Lightning on Tuesday, Nov. 19.
Update 2:25 p.m. ET
Kings head coach Darryl Sutter said Quick’s injury is “either hamstring or groin-related,” as per LA Kings Insider. What’s more, Sutter confirmed the club would be sending Quick back to Los Angeles, meaning it’s unlikely he’ll play any of the remaining games on this trip.
Update 4;35 p.m. ET
Quick has addressed his injury situation via Twitter:
Thank you to everyone’s get well wishes, I will do everything I can to get back to 100% and back on the ice as soon as possible
— Jonathan Quick (@JonathanQuick32) November 13, 2013
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)