Nov 13, 2013, 9:08 PM EDT
Road trips shouldn’t always be measured by the amount of away games a team plays. Just ask the San Jose Sharks, who face a deceptively tough five-game tour.
San Jose is midway though a zig-zag trek across the western half of North America. The Sharks started with a 1500-mile flight to Winnipeg, and worked their way backwards to Calgary. The current stop in Vancouver will be followed by a return flight back east to Edmonton, and will continue on to Chicago. The Sharks will fly home after the game against the Blackhawks on Sunday, and when they land, they will have accumulated approximately 6,400 miles, or enough to go back and forth across the continental United States.
As members of a California-based team, Sharks veterans are probably as accustomed to such a schedule as one can get. Tyler Kennedy switched from Pittsburgh to San Jose this summer, however, so he’s facing an adjustment.
At least he has an … interesting way of describing the change, though.
“You change time zones like you change your underwear. It’s crazy. I can’t believe it,” Kennedy said. “It helps a lot when you have a nice plane, and the staff has been great. It’s been a little bit difficult, but everyone’s been really helping me out in trying to get used to it. It’s not that bad, but it’s the time change that kills you.”
The Sharks’ estimated 57,612 miles of scheduled travel time tops the league, although a forgiving level of back-to-backs (only 10) probably drove PHT readers to say that the Vancouver Canucks had a slightly tougher schedule. Either way, it’s certainly not an easy haul for San Jose.
In other words, Kennedy & Co. might want to pack some extra britches.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
He played in 502 games, primarily with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
The 24-year-old gives agreed to an entry-level deal.
Jul 29, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Will he live up to his next contract?
Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT
“It really wasn’t about Dainius himself.”
Jul 29, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
His collection can be had for $5.7 million.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
The contest will air on Dec. 31 while the Classic itself is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. ET on Jan. 1.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
Staying healthy would help, too.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT
The Seal Beach Detention Center isn’t exactly Shawshank.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
“I relaxed down there and came back with the same attitude and everything kind of took care of itself.”
Jul 29, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Veteran forward had just four goals and six assists in 74 games last season.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:58 AM EDT
“So hopefully it’s nothing that keeps coming back.”
Jul 29, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
Can he give the Oilers the goaltending they so badly need?
Jul 29, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT
The 26-year-old goalie is coming off a tough season.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Spent last season with Lugano in the Swiss League.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Y’know, everyday stuff.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Jul 28, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT
Potentially a move to Switzerland, or the Czech League.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
Returning him to Rochester for a third time.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
Washington d-man is expected to miss the next two weeks of offseason training.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:26 PM EDT
Swiss winger came over from Calgary at last year’s deadline.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)