Nov 13, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT
Today, Stars coach Lindy Ruff spoke about his reportedly unhappy player.
“I’ve had conversations with Vern with where he is at, and where he was at last year. Those conversations are between the coach and the player,” Ruff said, per the Dallas Morning News. “It wouldn’t be fair for me to address the rumors, but I can tell you we have had conversations on where I see his role, where it’s going to end up, or where it is going to try to end up, and those have been real good conversations with Vern.”
Fiddler, 33, is averaging just 11:07 of ice time this season, well below the 14-15 minutes he played in Phoenix, where he spent 2009-10 and 2010-11 before signing with Dallas.
A pending unrestricted free agent with a $1.8 million cap hit, Fiddler could be of interest to a playoff contender looking for depth down the middle. He’s a decent faceoff man, too.
But making trades isn’t easy these days with so many teams up against the cap. If there’s any interest from around the league, it’s a good bet the Stars are being asked to take back salary.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)