Nov 13, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT
Today, Stars coach Lindy Ruff spoke about his reportedly unhappy player.
“I’ve had conversations with Vern with where he is at, and where he was at last year. Those conversations are between the coach and the player,” Ruff said, per the Dallas Morning News. “It wouldn’t be fair for me to address the rumors, but I can tell you we have had conversations on where I see his role, where it’s going to end up, or where it is going to try to end up, and those have been real good conversations with Vern.”
Fiddler, 33, is averaging just 11:07 of ice time this season, well below the 14-15 minutes he played in Phoenix, where he spent 2009-10 and 2010-11 before signing with Dallas.
A pending unrestricted free agent with a $1.8 million cap hit, Fiddler could be of interest to a playoff contender looking for depth down the middle. He’s a decent faceoff man, too.
But making trades isn’t easy these days with so many teams up against the cap. If there’s any interest from around the league, it’s a good bet the Stars are being asked to take back salary.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35