Nov 13, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
In the wake of today’s massive upheaval in Buffalo, one of the team’s most important players saw an opportunity arise.
“Hopefully this is a chance for the Sabres as an organization to kind of reset,” goalie Ryan Miller told the team website. “We have plenty of hockey left.”
Miller, who has easily been Buffalo’s best player this season, now finds himself in curious spot. With all indications suggesting he won’t re-sign with the Sabres, speculation suggest he’ll be made available via trade — but trade scenarios got cloudier after GM Darcy Regier was let go and no immediate successor was named.
Pat LaFontaine, the new president of hockey operations, said the search for a new GM is already underway and that he’s got a shortlist of candidates. At this point, it seems highly unlikely that any hire would compel Miller to stay in Buffalo… meaning the immediate topic of interest is how he’ll mesh with new head coach Ted Nolan.
Assuming the Sabres won’t make the playoffs — a safe one, to be sure — handling Miller will come down to a few things: Olympic preparation, showcasing for a possible trade and weighing the development of Jhonas Enroth.
Miller has played well enough to challenge for Team USA’s No. 1 gig in Sochi and, depending on the severity of Jonathan Quick’s injury, could end up being the clear-cut starter.
Showcasing Miller probably won’t be a major issue. Miller’s a known commodity throughout the league and this year’s bounce-back effort from an average ’13 season has raised his stock. The only time it might come up is closer to the deadline, or if he needs to play his way out of prolonged slump.
The Enroth situation will be interesting. He has one year left on his deal and, assuming Miller won’t be back, has a good shot of heading into 2014-15 as Buffalo’s No. 1. It sounds as though prospect Matt Hackett is still a bit away from challenging for an NHL starting gig, so it is possible the Sabres will look to play Enroth more as the season progresses.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Because there’s a really good chance they will.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Big development for the ‘Hawks.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Click for the details.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
“We played well in the first game, but then it all disappeared.”
Mar 11, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The sons of George and Brian, respectively.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Whether he does or not will impact the Flyers’ roster.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
A big defenseman from Lake Superior State.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Burly power forward’s in the midst of a disappointing season.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
“It’s great to have him around,” said Wild head coach Mike Yeo.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Dallas GM Jim Nill also released a statement.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
“We need to take this one, especially if there’s a four-point swing,” says d-man Brendan Smith.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Rough season for him, to say the least.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Suffered third straight loss on Monday night vs. Toronto.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“The fans won’t have it. The players won’t have it. And even if you hire a new GM, there is no way he’ll have it.”
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
He thinks the Panthers have a shot at winning the Stanley Cup before he retires.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames were already missing several forwards.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
Nothing’s official, but it sounds like he’ll stick with the Buffalo Sabres after all.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Washington desperately needs the two points.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)