Nov 13, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Flyers go with Emery vs. Pittsburgh
“Sugar” Ray Emery will be in goal for Philly tonight against heated rivals Pittsburgh.
Emery gets the start ahead of Steve Mason, who was perfect on Tuesday night against Ottawa by stopping all shots faced in a 5-0 shutout victory. Emery’s last game came on Thursday in a loss to New Jersey in which he played well, stopping 22 of 24 shots.
Emery will be going up against Marc-Andre Fleury. The Pens goalie has played well of late — allowing just two goals on 32 shots in a 2-1 loss to St. Louis on Saturday — but is looking for a win after suffering defeats in his last two outings.
Backstrom gets a shot
An early-season injury to Backstrom paved the way for Harding to take the starting job, but now it’s Backstrom’s turn to take advantage of an opportunity. Harding is sick, but it’ll take a herculean effort by Backstrom for the Wild to consider turning the net over to him full-time. Backstrom’s last outing wasn’t good — allowing five goals on 28 shots in an Oct. 28 loss to Chicago — and he hasn’t played since, so rust could be a factor.
No official report on who’ll start for Toronto tonight, but it appears Jonathan Bernier is likely.
— There’s only one other game tonight, and that’s Dallas at Edmonton. Neither the Stars nor the Oilers have confirmed who’ll be starting, but early projections figure it’ll be Kari Lehtonen for Dallas and Devan Dubnyk for the Oilers.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 3
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)