Nov 13, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Flyers go with Emery vs. Pittsburgh
“Sugar” Ray Emery will be in goal for Philly tonight against heated rivals Pittsburgh.
Emery gets the start ahead of Steve Mason, who was perfect on Tuesday night against Ottawa by stopping all shots faced in a 5-0 shutout victory. Emery’s last game came on Thursday in a loss to New Jersey in which he played well, stopping 22 of 24 shots.
Emery will be going up against Marc-Andre Fleury. The Pens goalie has played well of late — allowing just two goals on 32 shots in a 2-1 loss to St. Louis on Saturday — but is looking for a win after suffering defeats in his last two outings.
Backstrom gets a shot
An early-season injury to Backstrom paved the way for Harding to take the starting job, but now it’s Backstrom’s turn to take advantage of an opportunity. Harding is sick, but it’ll take a herculean effort by Backstrom for the Wild to consider turning the net over to him full-time. Backstrom’s last outing wasn’t good — allowing five goals on 28 shots in an Oct. 28 loss to Chicago — and he hasn’t played since, so rust could be a factor.
No official report on who’ll start for Toronto tonight, but it appears Jonathan Bernier is likely.
– There’s only one other game tonight, and that’s Dallas at Edmonton. Neither the Stars nor the Oilers have confirmed who’ll be starting, but early projections figure it’ll be Kari Lehtonen for Dallas and Devan Dubnyk for the Oilers.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)