Nov 13, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Flyers go with Emery vs. Pittsburgh
“Sugar” Ray Emery will be in goal for Philly tonight against heated rivals Pittsburgh.
Emery gets the start ahead of Steve Mason, who was perfect on Tuesday night against Ottawa by stopping all shots faced in a 5-0 shutout victory. Emery’s last game came on Thursday in a loss to New Jersey in which he played well, stopping 22 of 24 shots.
Emery will be going up against Marc-Andre Fleury. The Pens goalie has played well of late — allowing just two goals on 32 shots in a 2-1 loss to St. Louis on Saturday — but is looking for a win after suffering defeats in his last two outings.
Backstrom gets a shot
An early-season injury to Backstrom paved the way for Harding to take the starting job, but now it’s Backstrom’s turn to take advantage of an opportunity. Harding is sick, but it’ll take a herculean effort by Backstrom for the Wild to consider turning the net over to him full-time. Backstrom’s last outing wasn’t good — allowing five goals on 28 shots in an Oct. 28 loss to Chicago — and he hasn’t played since, so rust could be a factor.
No official report on who’ll start for Toronto tonight, but it appears Jonathan Bernier is likely.
– There’s only one other game tonight, and that’s Dallas at Edmonton. Neither the Stars nor the Oilers have confirmed who’ll be starting, but early projections figure it’ll be Kari Lehtonen for Dallas and Devan Dubnyk for the Oilers.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)