Nov 13, 2013, 12:33 PM EST
Tonight on NBCSN, it’s the Pittsburgh Penguins hosting the Philadelphia Flyers starting at 8 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
• The Penguins led the NHL in goals per game in 2011-12 (3.33) and 2012-13 (3.38). However, scoring is down half a goal (2.88, T-10th) through 17 games of the 2013-14 season. Three of their most dependable goal-scorers are in the midst of significant goal droughts:
Sidney Crosby: 7 games (longest since a career-long 12-game drought, 11/23/11 – 3/22/12)
Evgeni Malkin: 10 games (longest since a career-long 11-game drought, 12/27/09 – 1/14/10)
Pascal Dupuis: 11 games (longest since a 17-game drought, 12/29/11 – 2/5/12)
• Crosby has registered at least one point in 193 of 246 (78.5%) career regular-season games in Pittsburgh. In total, he has 382 points (1.55 points/game) at home.
• The Flyers have scored the fewest goals (31) in the NHL, at a rate of 1.82 per game (29th in the NHL). They have scored two or fewer goals in all but three of their 17 games. Their franchise-lows in each category came in their first two seasons: 173 goals (1967-68) and 2.29 goals per game (1968-69).
• Since the 2004-05 lockout, only three active goaltenders have more wins on home ice in the regular season than the Penguins’ Marc-Andre Fleury. (Note: Recently-retired Calgary goalie Miikka Kiprusoff tops the below-mentioned, with 174 wins.) (Elias Sports Bureau)
1. Roberto Luongo, Vancouver – 163
2. Henrik Lundqvist, N.Y. Rangers – 162
3. Martin Brodeur, New Jersey – 154
4. Fleury, Pittsburgh – 149
• Fleury has 68 wins in his last 100 regular-season starts (68-26-4), the most by an active goaltender in the NHL. Only Ray Emery (tonight’s possible goalie for the Flyers), Tim Thomas, Corey Crawford (all 59), Henrik Lundqvist and Roberto Luongo (58) have more than 58 wins during that span.
• In the Modern Era (1967-present), 212 different players have accumulated 200 or more penalty minutes in a single season. 26 did so for the Flyers (the most by any team) and 13 did so for the Penguins. Two – Dave Schultz and Rick Tocchet – did so for both teams.
• The spirit of the “Broad Street Bullies” apparently lives in Philadelphia. Since 2008-09, the Flyers have led the NHL in number of penalties four times, and in total penalty minutes three times.
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 0
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 42
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)