Nov 13, 2013, 10:52 PM EST
Good goaltending, solid defensive play and timely goal scoring – winning ingredients for the Philadelphia Flyers.
Matched up against their bitter rivals, the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Flyers came away with a 2-1 victory to take Rivalry Night on NHL on NBCSN.
- Could the once lowly Philadelphia Flyers be gaining momentum in the Eastern Conference? That’s three straight victories. Better yet? They’ve allowed a combined three goals in their last three games.
- Ray Emery, who was at the center of controversy for a goalie fight he instigated on Nov. 1, was sensational for the Flyers on Wednesday. He made 30 saves for the win.
- Brayden Schenn scored twice for Philadelphia. His second of the night counted as the game-winner. Nothing pretty about it. Standing in front of the net, controlled the puck up after it hit the post and he buries it into the open net.
- This passing play from Evgeni Malkin and finished off by Sidney Crosby was just nice. Worth another look.
- The Penguins have been held to one goal in each of their last three games. It’s no surprise that they have lost three straight, as well.
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 5
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 6
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 11
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 26
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 32
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 2