Nov 13, 2013, 2:17 PM EST
Capitals defenseman Mike Green sat out Wednesday’s practice with what the team is calling a lower body injury suffered in Tuesday night’s 4-3 overtime win against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Asked if Green would be available to play when the Capitals return to action in Detroit on Friday, Capitals coach Adam Oates said, “We’ll see. I obviously hope so. We’ll evaluate him [Thursday].”
Green was hit hard behind the Capitals net by Columbus Blue Jackets forward Blake Comeau with 8:06 gone in the third period, but Oates said the injury might have occurred on a “bump” Green took earlier in the game.
Green is no stranger to injuries. The 28-year-old has had his fair share in recent seasons, including significant issues with his groin.
The Caps are already without injured d-men Jack Hillen and John Erskine. If Green isn’t ready for the Detroit game, a call-up from AHL Hershey — Connor Carrick and Tyson Strachan are right-handed options — could be forthcoming.
Left-handed d-man Dmitry Orlov was sent back to Hershey this morning.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11