Nov 13, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
Capitals defenseman Mike Green sat out Wednesday’s practice with what the team is calling a lower body injury suffered in Tuesday night’s 4-3 overtime win against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Asked if Green would be available to play when the Capitals return to action in Detroit on Friday, Capitals coach Adam Oates said, “We’ll see. I obviously hope so. We’ll evaluate him [Thursday].”
Green was hit hard behind the Capitals net by Columbus Blue Jackets forward Blake Comeau with 8:06 gone in the third period, but Oates said the injury might have occurred on a “bump” Green took earlier in the game.
Green is no stranger to injuries. The 28-year-old has had his fair share in recent seasons, including significant issues with his groin.
The Caps are already without injured d-men Jack Hillen and John Erskine. If Green isn’t ready for the Detroit game, a call-up from AHL Hershey — Connor Carrick and Tyson Strachan are right-handed options — could be forthcoming.
Left-handed d-man Dmitry Orlov was sent back to Hershey this morning.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 0
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 4
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 16
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9