Nov 13, 2013, 2:17 PM EST
Capitals defenseman Mike Green sat out Wednesday’s practice with what the team is calling a lower body injury suffered in Tuesday night’s 4-3 overtime win against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Asked if Green would be available to play when the Capitals return to action in Detroit on Friday, Capitals coach Adam Oates said, “We’ll see. I obviously hope so. We’ll evaluate him [Thursday].”
Green was hit hard behind the Capitals net by Columbus Blue Jackets forward Blake Comeau with 8:06 gone in the third period, but Oates said the injury might have occurred on a “bump” Green took earlier in the game.
Green is no stranger to injuries. The 28-year-old has had his fair share in recent seasons, including significant issues with his groin.
The Caps are already without injured d-men Jack Hillen and John Erskine. If Green isn’t ready for the Detroit game, a call-up from AHL Hershey — Connor Carrick and Tyson Strachan are right-handed options — could be forthcoming.
Left-handed d-man Dmitry Orlov was sent back to Hershey this morning.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 37
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 10
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 35
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (40)