Nov 13, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
Capitals defenseman Mike Green sat out Wednesday’s practice with what the team is calling a lower body injury suffered in Tuesday night’s 4-3 overtime win against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Asked if Green would be available to play when the Capitals return to action in Detroit on Friday, Capitals coach Adam Oates said, “We’ll see. I obviously hope so. We’ll evaluate him [Thursday].”
Green was hit hard behind the Capitals net by Columbus Blue Jackets forward Blake Comeau with 8:06 gone in the third period, but Oates said the injury might have occurred on a “bump” Green took earlier in the game.
Green is no stranger to injuries. The 28-year-old has had his fair share in recent seasons, including significant issues with his groin.
The Caps are already without injured d-men Jack Hillen and John Erskine. If Green isn’t ready for the Detroit game, a call-up from AHL Hershey — Connor Carrick and Tyson Strachan are right-handed options — could be forthcoming.
Left-handed d-man Dmitry Orlov was sent back to Hershey this morning.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5