Nov 13, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
Capitals defenseman Mike Green sat out Wednesday’s practice with what the team is calling a lower body injury suffered in Tuesday night’s 4-3 overtime win against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Asked if Green would be available to play when the Capitals return to action in Detroit on Friday, Capitals coach Adam Oates said, “We’ll see. I obviously hope so. We’ll evaluate him [Thursday].”
Green was hit hard behind the Capitals net by Columbus Blue Jackets forward Blake Comeau with 8:06 gone in the third period, but Oates said the injury might have occurred on a “bump” Green took earlier in the game.
Green is no stranger to injuries. The 28-year-old has had his fair share in recent seasons, including significant issues with his groin.
The Caps are already without injured d-men Jack Hillen and John Erskine. If Green isn’t ready for the Detroit game, a call-up from AHL Hershey — Connor Carrick and Tyson Strachan are right-handed options — could be forthcoming.
Left-handed d-man Dmitry Orlov was sent back to Hershey this morning.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)