Nov 13, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
The Daily News calls it “one of the most extensive con jobs in sports history.” Among its alleged victims? Former first overall NHL draft pick Bryan Berard (pictured), as well as other names hockey fans will recognize, like Michael Peca, Jere Lehtinen, Glen Murray and Jozef Stumpel.
The alleged perpetrators, Phil Kenner and Tommy Constantine, have apparently been arrested on a litany of charges, including wire fraud, wire fraud conspiracy, and money laundering conspiracy.
If that’s not enough to convince you to read about it, perhaps this excerpt will:
Kenner and Constantine could face considerable prison time in the sprawling case that stretches from Mexico to Canada and includes bogus real estate transactions and fake investments, forged signatures on lines of credit, death threats and blackmail, much of which centers around the men’s attempts to gain control of a Cabo San Lucas golf resort that is rapidly becoming one of the most acclaimed courses in North America.
The Daily News has a page here that provides a good timeline.
And here’s the FBI’s press release on the indictments.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)