Nov 13, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
The Daily News calls it “one of the most extensive con jobs in sports history.” Among its alleged victims? Former first overall NHL draft pick Bryan Berard (pictured), as well as other names hockey fans will recognize, like Michael Peca, Jere Lehtinen, Glen Murray and Jozef Stumpel.
The alleged perpetrators, Phil Kenner and Tommy Constantine, have apparently been arrested on a litany of charges, including wire fraud, wire fraud conspiracy, and money laundering conspiracy.
If that’s not enough to convince you to read about it, perhaps this excerpt will:
Kenner and Constantine could face considerable prison time in the sprawling case that stretches from Mexico to Canada and includes bogus real estate transactions and fake investments, forged signatures on lines of credit, death threats and blackmail, much of which centers around the men’s attempts to gain control of a Cabo San Lucas golf resort that is rapidly becoming one of the most acclaimed courses in North America.
The Daily News has a page here that provides a good timeline.
And here’s the FBI’s press release on the indictments.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)