Nov 13, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
The Daily News calls it “one of the most extensive con jobs in sports history.” Among its alleged victims? Former first overall NHL draft pick Bryan Berard (pictured), as well as other names hockey fans will recognize, like Michael Peca, Jere Lehtinen, Glen Murray and Jozef Stumpel.
The alleged perpetrators, Phil Kenner and Tommy Constantine, have apparently been arrested on a litany of charges, including wire fraud, wire fraud conspiracy, and money laundering conspiracy.
If that’s not enough to convince you to read about it, perhaps this excerpt will:
Kenner and Constantine could face considerable prison time in the sprawling case that stretches from Mexico to Canada and includes bogus real estate transactions and fake investments, forged signatures on lines of credit, death threats and blackmail, much of which centers around the men’s attempts to gain control of a Cabo San Lucas golf resort that is rapidly becoming one of the most acclaimed courses in North America.
The Daily News has a page here that provides a good timeline.
And here’s the FBI’s press release on the indictments.
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 0
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 27
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)